Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nano fish suggestions

Minireeftank

Hello I’m considering getting a fish in my 13.5 gallon reef tank, I’m thinking only one fish, I currently have two hermit crabs two nassarius snails two trochus snails and a pompom crab, I’m looking for a fish that prefers perching in rockwork like a goby or blenny, does anyone have suggestions for the most colourful options? (if anyone knows of a pink species that’d be amazing!) I mostly see tailspot or bicolour blennies and yellow watchman gobies suggested

If you truly only want one fish, you could go with something aggressive but pretty like a diadem dottyback. That’s quite colorful and active, and only gets 2” long.

Pink streak wrasse but isn’t a perching fish and may take a few months to find. 

Geometric Pygmy hawkfish (actually it is an anthia) is perching but not quite pink, maybe reddish but kinda close. Again, it will take a bit to find probably. 

Helfrichi firefish is pink and lavender and oh so pretty but you need a lid with NO gaps. It hovers outside its cave (not perching). It is expensive but they do have sales now and again which brings it down to $100ish. Not too hard to find. Definitely a showy fish.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Minireeftank said:

All lovely suggestions Thankyou willlook out for them 🙂

Some others I thought might work...

Pinkbar goby (more peachy colored) - perches on sand, pairs with candycane pistol - not too hard to find. 

Pink spotted watchman goby - this one has pink spots and metalic blue on a white body, perches on sand, pairs with pistol shrimp - not too hard to find.

Gold Neon Eviota Goby - red and gold head but body fades into pink-ish. They are perching and hovering fish, TINY at 1 inch! Sociable so you would want 2-3 imo as they fare better. - a bit unusual but not super rare. Maybe seasonal. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

A hawkfish is probably your best option for your criteria. Either a geometric pygmy hawkfish or a juvenile longnose hawkfish could work. Although not a percher, a sixline wrasse would also be a cool single fish for this tank, and has some pink.

• Like 1