ReefCleaners.org

Darby’s Simple Blue

daisies_for_darby

daisies_for_darby

Hello everyone!

After a long time researching on setting up a reef tank I have concluded one thing: there are A LOT of ways to set up a reef tank 😅

There also seems to be quite the assortment of gadgets and products that one can use to achieve success in the hobby. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good contrivance just as much as the next person, but I like simple more. As I come from a background in design, and my previous habits of planted aquarium aquascaping were anything but complex, I plan on continuing that tradition in having an ultra low feature, simple setup.

As far as equipment goes, old habits die hard as I’ll be using a UNS rimless aquarium with a stand. Flow, filtration, and heat will be provided by a canister filter with a set of glass lily pipes. For lighting I plan on obtaining an ATI T5 fixture (LEDs are nice, but I’m a big fan of how T5s look, sure call me old school). And that’s it! Tank, filter, light. As this tank may be in a position to be viewed from all sides, the scape will be about as minimal as the equipment being used. I love the simple, artistic approach that the planted aquarium side of the hobby has and want to bring that feel of clean glass lines into this build; wish me luck and more to come soon 😊

I can’t claim anything that I’ll be doing here as original to myself (I’ve pulled many ideas from members here and elsewhere online), but I do hope to create a lovely little focal point for our living space 🤗 

A small disclaimer; We’ll be moving here at the end of the year. I would very much like to avoid the whole “set up a tank just to take it down” ordeal as I’ve done that with a few planted aquariums and it was a pain let alone doing the same with a reef tank🥴 so for these few months the show here will unfortunately be the slow accumulation of a few items that I need and probably some questions for you all along the way. My apologies in advance.

List of equipment used:

Tank: UNS 60T

Stand:

Filter:

Light: 

List of Corals and Livestock:

tbd

• Like 2

sounds like a good set up i was running a canister filter on one of my UNS reef tanks as well. just one thing forsure you do have to keep up with cleaning the filter pretty often. thats my only downside to it. 

daisies_for_darby
On 8/29/2022 at 5:53 PM, 805_reef said:

sounds like a good set up i was running a canister filter on one of my UNS reef tanks as well. just one thing forsure you do have to keep up with cleaning the filter pretty often. thats my only downside to it. 

Good to hear another using a canister filter on their reef!

Of course. A quick rinse/maintenance a few times a week should suffice. I don't plan on stocking this tank very heavily so that should also help I suppose. 

• Like 1