SaltCritters.com

Air stone skimmer question

Bsilb

Hey Ya'll. First off i was just wondering if any of you use and air stone skimmer. ?

But then my real question is, how long do lime wood air stones make nice micro bubbles?

I have a reef glass skimmer and really like it. Ive been using it for about 6 months. I seem to need to replace my lime wood every 2 weeks to every 2 months. I know thats not consistent. 

Another question.... Can you clean them and dry them to make them "come back to life?" 

Thanks for the input! 

Brett

AiredaleReef

Hi there! I am using an air stone skimmer on my 8 gallon. Unfortunately, it is a new piece of equipment for me, so at this point I am unable to tell you how long my air stone will last. So far, we are only a week in, but going strong. 

I have heard that you can clean them with vinegar, but haven't researched that end of it yet. For now, my plan is just to replace when the bubbles digress, or after a few months should things become unsightly/dirty. I found a few online for a few dollars, so for me it was not that big of a deal to replace. 

It has been years since I've used an air stone skimmer.  Yeah, stone longevity, as well as loud and fading air pumps made me switch.  If I recall, I think I went through about a stone every month.

Hmm, (almost twenty years ago) I wasn't aware of a way to rejuvenate them.  But it sure would have been nice if I knew how to do it back then.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1