Innovative Marine Aquariums

10G hair algae issue idea

techhnyne

I have a 10G aio and 0.00 phosphates yet still growing im thinking rocks are leeching like crazy

im thinking of doing 90% waterchange removing all sand  and spot peroxiding the rocks

what should i do about the frags with algae on them? 
and is this too much shock for the corals?

lastly can sps get peroxide dipped?

Calcium based rock and sand do bind phosphate.  So it's possible that the algae is currently utilizing that, but eventually, that source will get used up.  Which phosphate kit are you using?  If it's a high range kit like API (which is better suited for freshwater planted tanks), you won't see any inorganic phosphate in the water unless it's over 0.25ppm.

Personally, if it is common hair algae, I'd stick with manual removal and herbivorous inverts.  You can spot treat portions of your rock with peroxide if you wish, but sometimes I feel that just makes a nice clean patch for new algae to inhibit.  Some coral, like zoanthids, do pretty well with strong peroxide dips; however, I probably wouldn't subject SPS to peroxide.  You're probably better off fragging off healthy tissue and discarding algae infested portions.

It might sound strange, but I might even recommend dosing phosphate up to 0.03ppm.  This should help all photosynthetic life (namely your corals, but also algae).  With no available phosphate in the water, your corals are probably suffering (and losing out to the unchecked algae).  Algae likes to take hold on clean areas (like where coral tissue has been lost).  This might be why algae is taking hold around your frags.

So I'd boost your phosphate levels, beef up your cleanup crew, and work hard on manual removal.

18 hours ago, techhnyne said:

Im thinking of doing 90% waterchange removing all sand

Going bare bottom is sometimes a very effective way of controlling certain pests.  I wouldn't be opposed to taking this step.

• Like 1