SaltCritters.com

20 Gallon Stocking? (First Tank)

CapnWreckz

Hey, I'm currently cycling my first tank - this 20 gallon JBJ cube aquarium. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/20-gallon-nano-rimless-aio-aquarium-jbj.html

I understand that nano tanks aren't preferable for beginners but I'm going to keep on top of weekly water changes and testing, but I wanted to ask about stocking.

I want to stock my tank with

- 2 Ocellaris clowns

- 1 Royal Gramma 

- 1 Yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair

Do you think that these 4 fish would be alright in my 20gal, or would it be too much bioload?

I understand that these sort of questions get asked a lot, not trying to be annoying or anything like that, it's just my first tank and I'd like to make sure I'm not messing anything up. 

Just now, ReefFrenzy1974 said:

I think that will be fine. Just make sure your filtration is large enough. 

Right now I'm just using the filtration that comes with the AIO, not running a protein skimmer or anything.

ReefFrenzy1974
20 minutes ago, CapnWreckz said:

Right now I'm just using the filtration that comes with the AIO, not running a protein skimmer or anything.

It should be good just make sure you’re not over feeding as left over food will cause ammonia spikes. Plus keep up on your weekly water change and you should be good. 

I agree it should work.. but the clowns may be the last addition as they may be aggressive. Ideally one clown is better as they do get big over time and they may fight with each other .

The gramma will like lots of hiding spots in the rock work. 

The goby will hang on the bottom under the rock work preferably with a pistol shrimp.

As your first tank the weekly water changes and maybe vacuum the sand bed to keep the sediment under control is important. Dont rush things too much. Fish can carry diseases which will affect the others. Ick could wipe out all your fish very fast. 

Enjoy and good luck.

ReefFrenzy1974
8 hours ago, jambon said:

I agree it should work.. but the clowns may be the last addition as they may be aggressive. Ideally one clown is better as they do get big over time and they may fight with each other .

The gramma will like lots of hiding spots in the rock work. 

The goby will hang on the bottom under the rock work preferably with a pistol shrimp.

As your first tank the weekly water changes and maybe vacuum the sand bed to keep the sediment under control is important. Dont rush things too much. Fish can carry diseases which will affect the others. Ick could wipe out all your fish very fast. 

Enjoy and good luck.

All is 100% spot on. As for the clowns most clownfish, except the maroon, are only aggressive in regards to their hosting location or too many of them. However, if you get a pair that are young then they will be fine. One will become female and they will bond. We’ve had our two a year and there’s not been any issues. 

• 1 month later...

Yes that is a fine list, similar to the stocking in my evo. You could more than likely get away with a 5th fish in a similar size range. I'd recommend converting the middle chamber in your aio to a refugium. The chaetomax light from IM is a great option. IME even a small refugium full of chaeto can provide a significant reduction in nutrients and allow for higher stocking.