Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Updating Firmware on Hydros Controller Disaster (potentially)

Nic

I updated the firmware on my Hydros controller this morning while I took the kids to daycare. My wife called me about 15 minutes afterward saying the tank was about to overflow. Apparently, when I updated the firmware it automatically set every piece of equipment on the controller to "override on." Somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 gallons of ATO water filled the tank and took the salinity from 35-30. 

The LPS look fine (they honestly look downright happy), the fish are fine, even some of the Acros have good PE and look fine. I rushed back and brought the salinity up to 32-33 but don't want to go any further right now. Should I just fill the ATO with hyper salinated water and let it bring it up slowly to 35 over the next couple of days?

I feel downright sick about this. Everything in the tank was looking great and everything was stable. Just sitting back and waiting for my acros to start STN/RTN. 

Dang,that is terrible. Over on R2R I have been reading bad things about the Hydro's. Kinda sucka because it seemed to be a very entry kevel controller to whom couldn't afford the Apex. 

I would mix a smidge higher than normal salinity water and raise it like you said. 

20 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Dang,that is terrible. Over on R2R I have been reading bad things about the Hydro's. Kinda sucka because it seemed to be a very entry kevel controller to whom couldn't afford the Apex. 

I would mix a smidge higher than normal salinity water and raise it like you said. 

Up until just recently my experience has been pretty good with the Hydros controllers. Setting up the collective was pretty complicated but I figured it out. This was the first time I have had to update the firmware. I had no idea that it could potentially cause that to happen and honestly have no understanding as to why it would be necessary for everything to get set to "override on." Thank God my wife was home at the desk, in front of the tank. Who knows, maybe I'll get out of it without issue but I doubt it. Just absolutely sickening for something like this to happen. 

I've mixed up some saltwater and put it into the ATO. I didn't want to increase beyond a couple of ppm in a short period so hopefully this will soften the blow. Everything looks fine now but I know that means absolutely nothing for SPS. We'll see in a couple of days, I reckon.