Innovative Marine Aquariums

First time poster

LinuxJunkie

Hi All:

After seeing many beautiful nano reefs from members of this BB and from the local lfs i decided to set up a 6g nano. I do have 5+ years in reef keeping i currently have a 55g reef, But i feel like a complete newbie with the nano:) I would like to know of what success you have had with your nano's.

My current set-up consist's of the following:

6g eclipse

stock filtration(i do however choose not to use the bio wheel) i have added some cc and live sand where the bio wheel resides.

7-8 pounds cured lr

2 1/2 inch sand bed

8w 50/50 bulb

1 powerhead

no heater

One more question i have is this, I plan to use CSL retrofit kit, Will this be more than sufficient lighting for some acro's and frogspawn, if they are placed higher in the water column?

Jeff

that's an interesting idea putting the cc and sand in the eclipse filtration area. i'm assuming you're talking about the filter cartridge area and using it like a little refugium. you may have to baffle it to curb the flow rate imo. you could also put in one of those new LED lights and have an algae scrubber going up there.

are you talking about the SeaBrights from CSL? (27w & 13W) they're pretty good. i used that retro on my last nano (also an Eclipse 6) and it worked ok. the frog is ok but i'd question the acros. if you're raising acros in your big setup already you probably know enough to do it though. i'm a weed reefer rather than an ac-rose reefer. :P

i'd go 2x32w though. later on you'll want to upgrade anyway. that's part of the reason i finally switched nanos myself. welcome to the shallow end of the pool!

I'm not sure that the 32W retro will fit in a 6 gallon eclipse... But if it does, go for it! ffexpress.com has them right now for $39.99!! I just put in an order on Saturday. I know that it will be albe to handle the euphyllia spp (like frogspawn) and Def lower level SPS but I can't promise that it will do all acros... I say try it... If you find out that it works, come back and tell everyone! If you can get a hold of a mintipora digita frag, try it out first... I can almost guarentee that it will do well in a 6 with 32W of PC.

Tinyreef, i dont follow you with the alge scrubber going "up there" And yes, from the reading i did, these lights are 50/50@32w, and will fit into a eclipse. Good to hear the support for the frogspawn, I have already decided that i will do a temporary move from one tank to another for about a week with the acro. The frags will not spend 24/7 in the nano till i can ease them into the lower lights. I belive the worst im looking at for the acro is color loss.

sorry, i wasn't explicit. i assumed that you were using the filter cartridge compartment for the cc and sand you mentioned. i didn't know where else it could go in the filter/bio-wheel area. if you add macroalgae into that compartment it would in effect become an algae scrubber, not the vogue term i know but basically a refugium w/macroalgae.

my comment with the LED was to provide a light source with the lid closed but you could just leave it open (watch for evaporation/salinity issues though).

Will the 32 retro fit into an eclipse 6 or an eclipse 12?? Not saying that it wont, I just haven't seen it done... Ask around here, I'm sure someone has done it (even if requires a little struggle or cutting the hood apart!)... I am always amazed at what people on this site have pulled off!

Archived