Cultivated Reef

Fijicube AIO Install

Morpheus77

Has anyone ever installed one of these kits? The instructions are sorta vague on exactly where to apply silicone. There is a half inch gap on both sides of the aio box, am I supposed to apply silicone in these gaps? If so, how am I supposed to do this? Seems there is not enough room for a clean application. Can I just run a bead on the inside perimeter of back side of box and attach to tank? Confused.

The pressure of the water will help secure the insert, plus there is no chance of leaking, so the quality of your silicone job isn't that important.  I'd place the insert, then apply silicone over the exposed joints (if nothing else, to keep critters and sand from going there).

But the issue is, I have no idea how to even try and get silicone to where it needs to be. There is a 3/4" gap between box and tank, and the box is almost 5" wide. What's the best practice for applying silicone in a 3/4" work space? 

Here is pic of my issue. This pic was taken from another site, but shows what I am referring to. Any suggestions on how to get silicone on the back side of box and tank here?

Screenshot_20220725-100013_Chrome.jpg

So are you saying that it doesn't sit all of the way back against the wall?

Yeah a 3/4" gap can't be easily filled with silicone.  The insert must be made for another model of tank. :unsure:

So, just got through corresponding with Fijicube via email, and they stated, if I install it peninsula style, then to just run a bead of silicone on back of box, and bottom as well, and this will suffice. If I installed it in the center of tank, then running silicone along the outside edges, would be the best practice. So that clears it up for me, the instructions make it seem like they want you to run a bead up the outside edges, that's nearly impossible.

I seen on another forum where a guy installed this same setup, and used black foam to fill the gaps to keep livestock out, will look into this.

Seabass, it does sit mostly all the way back, there is a bit of a gap, but not much. The bottom factory silicone from tank keeps it from being a 100% flush. They seriously should bevel the edge of that kit on that side, would make for a better fit.

9 minutes ago, Morpheus77 said:

They seriously should bevel the edge of that kit on that side, would make for a better fit.

The cleaner the silicone bead, the less of a bevel they'd need.  You could probably sand/grind down the edges to make it fit better.

29 minutes ago, seabass said:

The cleaner the silicone bead, the less of a bevel they'd need.  You could probably sand/grind down the edges to make it fit better.

I am considering this, I have the tools to do it. My only problem is time right now. Working 12's till further notice, but yes, I am thinking about it. Nothing is done to the tank yet, still sitting new and empty, the AIO kit came in yesterday, just trying to get a plan together for the install. Hoping to get new tank up and going next few weeks, looking forward to it.

BTW, the issue we been chatting about with 2.5 is getting better slowly. Seems as though the tank is stabilizing. Doing pwc's once a week now, instead of every three days. Hope in continues.

• Like 1