Pod Your Reef

Red Sea 130 vs Waterbox Cube 25

Tide

Hi guys. New here and to saltwater in general. I’m coming from the koi pond side and would like to get into saltwater.

I’m familiar with water chemistry, filtration, and the whole nitrogen cycle. Thats the fun part to me. A good filtration system makes me happy.

Anyway, looking for a tank. I have two options. First is a used Red Sea 130D. Looks to be in good condition. Guy is asking $250 but can probably get it for lower. From what I see, i’d have to upgrade the lighting, pumps, and skimmer eventually and go rimless (I like the look of rimless and more light options). But its 30 gallons so thats a plus and it comes with a stand. 

Second option is a new Waterbox Cube 25 Peninsula. While smaller, its newer. But its more expensive and no stand. I like the look however but not sure about upgrades in the future. Seams like everyone changes out everything in an “all-in-one” system anyway.

I know eventually I will bypass the built in sump and go with one inside the stand. I like tinkering with that.

• Tide changed the title to Red Sea 130 vs Waterbox Cube 25
  • 2 weeks later...

I just bought the water box tank so I’m biased. But since it’s your first tank I’d buy new! Here’s a link for an ikea stand option. That I’ll be doing. You’d just have to reinforce the inside. Good luck!