Cultivated Reef

Cleaner shrimp struggling to move.

Cubeguy11

When I woke up this morning my shrimp was on the sand like this, which is pretty usual for him as he likes to look for bits of food that are left over. However after watching him for a few minutes I am a little worried that something is going on. First I noticed that his tail was touching the ground and when looking closer he didn’t see to properly be able to use his back legs. Every few minutes he would also go into a moment of “panic” and frantically start trying to swim or move. I also noticed that he seems to be having trouble cleaning is antenas and that he’s antennas seem to be shorter that usual. I haven’t done a water change in 2 weeks so I don’t think that’s the problem. As for tank mates he has a pair of ocellaris clownfish, neither of them have really shown any interest in him though. Is this a sign of a molt? Is there something else going on? Any help is appreciated.

31F60C0A-DD00-44D0-B1D3-0F2D8DDDBCEA.jpeg

Test your water parameters. Salinity, ammonia, pH. Maybe unplug all powered equipment that's submerged in the tank, too- I'm not sure if an electricity leak will make shrimp act like that. 

All parameters are good, soon I turn everything off for about an hour, I don’t really want to go more than that without a heater though because the room it’s in it pretty cold.

Update: now that the hour is up I turned everything back on and he really doesn’t seems to be doing better. What should I do? I also forgot to mention that I’m going on vacation very soon so I’m not going to be home for about a 5 days.

I'm not sure there's much you can do. It might be trying to molt. Turning off the lights to help avoid stressing it is about the most you can do.