SaltCritters.com

Please Help me With A 1st Coral

Ilove2ride

Hi, my 24 gallon tank has been set up for 9 mos. now. I would like to add a coral, but I don't know much about them. These are the conditions-

CONDITIONS-

Salinity-

Nitrate-

Good, :)

Are those normal output florescent lights? You're gonna need to post the wattage so we can tell you which corals could work. If they're normal florescent bulbs (not PC), you'll probably only be able to keep shrooms and maybe button polyps until you can upgrade the lights. The crab and shrimp shouldn't be a problem. A feather duster doesn't need lighting so there's no issue there, although I've read some people have problems keeping them in small tanks because they're filter feeders. Mine has been thriving in my 10g, but I run no skimmer or particulate filtration which probably factors in. Post more details of your lighting and more help will come :)

Oh, and how big is the tank?

Look on the bulbs to see if they mark the wattage. You can probably get away with keeping some LOW light corals under those. Most of us with smaller tanks use PC lighting (power compact florescents). They make retrofit kits that you can setup in your existing hood. Try www.ahsupply.com to get an idea what they are and how much they cost. Don't know the dimentions of your tank, but if you can squeeze a 2x55w PC kit in there, your options would really open up.

Get a retro PC kit, probably 2 x 55w PC's. Do LOTS of reading while your lights are being shipped - because if you 'dont know much' about corals, you shouldn't be keeping them. These arent goldfish...

Good Luck

Okay, I looked at the website... which kit should I get? The 2 by 55 bright kit? Does it take a long time to set up? Would a need a cooler for these lights? Would more lighting make the problem I have with brown algea explode? Is the filtration I have okay? Also, which books would you recommend that I read?

Thanks so much!

You dont need to run a filter, just get lots of live rock. Yeah get 2 x 55w Bright Kit. It takes seconds to set-up. Just plug it in and WHOOSH they are bright. Most people like a blue-er spectrum, and they go with 1 bulb 10000k, and one bulb Actinic 03. I prefer a more natural looking light, and have 1 bulb 6400k, and 1 Actinic 03. No you probably wont need a fan or anything, but you can get them for like $15 at radioshack or wal-mart.

Read Aquarium Corals by Eric H. Borneman. Really good read. Also if your interested in clownfish get Clownfishes. Great books that will teach you A LOT.

Good Luck!

Archived