ReefCleaners.org

HELP ASAP!!

sadie

I just bought a bag of CaribSea LS and added it to my tank.  Originally I was gong to rinse it, but the bag said not too.  and now my tank is WHITE snd I csn't see anything!!!

Is this normal?  I called the # on the bag and they are closed and just have an answering service and the guy new nothing,

I can't even see my fish to get them out.

DSC_0300.JPG

Totally normal!

That’s why everyone recommends rinsing.  Nothing to worry about, it will just take some time for the really fine stuff to get filtered out. 

• Agree 4

Thank you for commenting so quickly.  I was freaking out, almost in tears.  I had it in the bucket to rinse it, then I was like- maybe I should read the bag first.  I always get n trouble because I don't read things.  This tie I got in trouble because I DID!!  It said don't rinse.  It should mention that if you don't rinse your water will be cloudy.  My poor little critters. 

I feel so bad...

• Like 2

I had 20 minutes before I had to start supper, so I thought no problem, I'll rinse the sand and throw it in.  then I was freaking out but I had to start supper (a new recipe with pork chops I never made before).  

Had enough time between searing and making sauce to quickly throw this on here.  Could concentrate better on dinner knowing fish would be fine.  Ate dinner and was cleaning up.  I found this little packet that came in the bag of sand- It's a liquid pouch of "bio-magnet stuff" to help clear the water.  You think it would be better if they just tell you to rinse it.

I mixed the packet in a bowl of tank water and slowly added it to my tank so hopefully it will clear quicker.

If I add some filter floss that has the carbon in it, will that help too?  It's all black.

• Like 1
M. Tournesol
26 minutes ago, sadie said:

You think it would be better if they just tell you to rinse it.

Rinsing live sand would mean you are paying dearly for nothing.

26 minutes ago, sadie said:

I mixed the packet in a bowl of tank water and slowly added it to my tank so hopefully it will clear quicker.

If I add some filter floss that has the carbon in it, will that help too?  It's all black.

Yes, it will clear up fasterwith bio-magnet stuff.

The filter floss will help remove the "sand foam" that will/may form on the surface of the water.

If you are still worry about your fishes, adding an air pump won't hurt.

• Like 1

I don't really believe the claim it is 'live'.. personally.... lots of claims in this hobby so I am skeptical. It's wet so something probably in it... just don't know how useful it really is. Live sand alone never worked well like bottled products or live rock can. I always rinse mine and if I need bacteria I toss in some biospira. 

Your fish should be okay though. 

• Like 5

The last time I added some was when I upgraded my tank from a 12 to 16 gal.  over the past 4 yrs of vacuuming and scooping out clumps of algae, I was running low.  I got a sea fan and he kept falling over because the sand wasn't deep enough for his plug!😵  So I decided it was time to add another bag. 

• Like 4

I have about 2 cups of sand left over.  Any way of saving this?  I have a vacuum sealer.  Or should I just dump it in the tank?

Looks like tank is pretty much cleared up.  the white lights haven't come on yet so I don't know how clear.  But looks pretty clear now.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, sadie said:

I have about 2 cups of sand left over.  Any way of saving this?

I'd just let it dry out to store it.  The amount of bacteria you'd save leaving it wet is inconsequential.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
fenderchamp

Is the point of live sand simply that is already cycled or is it supposed to have other good stuff in it too?   My scant experience has only encompassed bare bottom tanks so far.

@sadie I think if you kept posting pictures every couple of days as it clears up, assuming that it clears up and that you don't break down and take drastic action.  The pictures might be helpful for the next person in a panic, so they can see the progression of improvement and a basic timeline. 

How big is that tank and how much sand did you add?

If I added the sand and my tank was white with no end in site, I would be freaking out a little bit too.

Living Primitively » Snow Blindness

54 minutes ago, fenderchamp said:

Is the point of live sand simply that is already cycled or is it supposed to have other good stuff in it too?

The bagged live sand contains some nitrifying bacteria (that's it).  They probably just add some saltwater with some bacteria from a bottle in with the sand.  Supposedly, you don't have to rinse it, but I always recommend that you do anyway (for the reason demonstrated in this thread).  With the added cost of bagged live sand (and paying for the weight of the water), I feel that most people are better off buying dry bagged sand, rinsing it, then adding a good bottled bacteria culture (like IO BIO-Spira or Brightwell Microbacter7).

Some people sell actual live sand from the ocean: https://gulfliverock.com/live-sand

In addition to bacteria, it usually contains pods, snails, pieces of macroalgae, etc.

• Like 2
M. Tournesol
36 minutes ago, seabass said:

I feel that most people are better off buying dry bagged sand

Yes, but I cannot find dry sand mix equivalent to the "CARIBSEA Ocean Direct Original Grade" 😭

2 hours ago, fenderchamp said:

Is the point of live sand simply that is already cycled or is it supposed to have other good stuff in it too?   My scant experience has only encompassed bare bottom tanks so far.

@sadie I think if you kept posting pictures every couple of days as it clears up, assuming that it clears up and that you don't break down and take drastic action.  The pictures might be helpful for the next person in a panic, so they can see the progression of improvement and a basic timeline. 

How big is that tank and how much sand did you add?

If I added the sand and my tank was white with no end in site, I would be freaking out a little bit too.

Living Primitively » Snow Blindness

the only reason I buy LS is because I know it is safe for my tank.  I have a 16 gal and like to keep about a 2" sand bed.  Mine was down to about an inch in some places and less in others.  I bought one bag, but didn't use the whole thing.  I have about 2 cups left over, which I am drying to use later when needed.  I will post a picture I took last night and one of what it looks like now.

DSC_0301.JPG

DSC_0302.JPG

• Like 3

Nice tank! Dry sand is also safe to add to running tanks. 🙂 Much like dry rock. It just has to be new or clean sand... not someones old sand from their tank that was dried out and nasty. 

• Like 2