SaltCritters.com

UNS 90L (20 longish) SPS lighting question

MiamiAG

Hi everyone -

I’m planning out a UNS 90L tank for SPS. The tank is essentially 3 feet by 1 foot by 1 foot. I’m struggling with lighting.

I plan on the lights being about 6 inches off the water surface. Given the shallow depth and factoring in the live rock, I suspect that most of the SPS will be located at a water depth of about 6-8 inches.

My current thought is to use two Kessil a160we Tuna Blues. They can contain the light spread to the narrow tank specs and using two would allow me to keep relatively high par for SPS in a large center area. Lower light would be towards the two ends of the aquarium. I would probably increase the photoperiod to counteract the lower par with high-light loving SPS.

Are there any nano SPS enthusiasts out there that care to share their thoughts on my plan and/or share alternative lights to consider?

Thanks in advance,

Art

2 Kessil A160's would not be enough I don't think. 

I would personally go with a Agrobrite 2 bulb 36" with a led bar mounted on the underside outer edges on either side or a ReefBrite Supra Low with one mounted on either side. 

But if you want to go FULL BLOWN sps,I would consider a ATI 4 bulb 36" t5 and led bars on the outside of either side. You may be able to squeeze 2 Orpheks or Reefbrite down the middle of a normal Supra 2 bulb.