Cultivated Reef

Ugh, is this ich?

mje113

My pair of clownfish both seem pretty healthy. Been eating fairly well since I got them two weeks ago. Definitely one better than the other. I noticed today that the other didn't seem interested in food, even though he was still swimming strong. Then I just noticed the dreaded white spots and observed what I think could be "flashing" once from him.

but I also see similar sized white spots all over my glass and they are moving around like crazy so I was figuring some kinda pod. Is there any possibility the two are related and harmless or should I start trying to figure out hospital tank procedures?

Spots on fish

8FE37D2A-CE4D-4128-BACE-D67055E1FAD9.jpeg

@Humblefish might be able to provide a proper ID as well as a treatment plan.

12 minutes ago, mje113 said:

I definitely see some excess mucus on him. Any harm in just treating for both? Also what are the chances of survival?

Chloroquine Phosphate can treat either Brook or Ich in a hospital tank.  The chance of survival with proper treatment is good.  The display will need to remain fallow for a couple of months.

59 minutes ago, mje113 said:

I definitely see some excess mucus on him. Any harm in just treating for both? Also what are the chances of survival?

Sounds like Brook: 

A H2O2 bath provide temp relief: 

• Thanks 1

And then I would place both clownfish in a QT, and dose metro (e.g. Seachem Metroplex) every 48 hours for 10-14 days.

Chloroquine works too, but is much harder to source than Metroplex.

• Thanks 1

I walked out of the store with Ruby Reef Rally Pro (recommended on another forum), and copper, as well as a basic 5g QT setup.

Can both be used together?

20 hours ago, mje113 said:

I walked out of the store with Ruby Reef Rally Pro (recommended on another forum), and copper, as well as a basic 5g QT setup.

Can both be used together?

I would use Rally in a 90 minute bath @ 1 teaspoon per gallon.

And then dose copper in the QT. But I would also pickup some Seachem Metroplex to dose alongside the copper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok... I went by the instructions on the Rally bottle and dosed the whole 5g QT with 18ml... Did it again today for a 3-day course. Did I mess up?

I figure I could continue the current course, do a water change and switch to copper and Metroplex.

Or, halt, do the dip and switch to copper today.

I guess I don't understand why people advise a 90 minute dip (higher concentration) vs the bottle's instructions to dose the whole tank daily for 3 days?

A dip is a concentrated limited, temporary exposure; whereas dosing the tank exposes the tank and fish for a longer period of time, and can potentially interact with other treatments.  I'm not sure if Ruby Reef can be use in conjunction with copper.  Humblefish would know; I'd follow his instructions.

• Like 2
On 6/16/2022 at 11:02 AM, mje113 said:

I guess I don't understand why people advise a 90 minute dip (higher concentration) vs the bottle's instructions to dose the whole tank daily for 3 days?

Rally seems to degrade water quality if you keep dosing it. This is why I prefer using it in a bath that you throw out afterwards.

I would NOT combine copper + rally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1