Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clove polyps?

Privateer

Blue snowflake polyps, I think? Pretty, but wildly invasive. They can actually sexually reproduce in reef aquaria, and will therefore scatter themselves onto every surface in your tank. If you like the look of them, leave 'em in- most corals can beat them back pretty well. If you don't want a tank full of 'em, you should probably pull that rock and cover them in liquid superglue. It's a shame, but they'll run wild if allowed to do so, and not everyone wants them running wild.

I kinda figured that’s what they were…sigh….I hate the idea of killing them, but I definitely don’t want em all over…and the wife likes em🙄…I’m gonna have make a decision I guess. 

Got any spare stuff? You could try to lop off the end of the rock and put them in their own little tank. Alternately, I bet one of those mesh hang-on breeder boxes would contain them; the eggs are probably far too large to get through the mesh. Though that would require you to find a decent-looking place to put the box.

12 minutes ago, Tired said:

Got any spare stuff? You could try to lop off the end of the rock and put them in their own little tank. Alternately, I bet one of those mesh hang-on breeder boxes would contain them; the eggs are probably far too large to get through the mesh. Though that would require you to find a decent-looking place to put the box.

Not really any spare equipment laying around…I’m just have to seal them down , and promise the wife something else .

Try and find some blue-green sympodium. It's quite similar to clove polyps in appearance, but is much more well-behaved. It spreads on a mat, at an entirely reasonable pace, and doesn't sexually reproduce or otherwise scatter itself into the wind. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1