ReefCleaners.org

Autotopoff.com

Reefkid88

Has anyone used any of their kits ? I know they have been out for ages,but never considered them. Now I am thinking about it,$55 shipped isn't bad at all compared to everything else that is out nowadays with optical jazz and crap. 

Justind823
1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

Has anyone used any of their kits ? I know they have been out for ages,but never considered them. Now I am thinking about it,$55 shipped isn't bad at all compared to everything else that is out nowadays with optical jazz and crap. 

I've had the same 2 float switch unit for... at least 10 years, maybe closer to 15? I've used it on every build that's had a sump and it's being used on my current one. I tried out an optical sensor and that's the only time I've had an issue that I can remember  - just bad luck probably but I'd highly recommend autotopoff.com. The only drawback is that it's bigger than any other kit but if you have the room it's the way to go.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Justind823 said:

I've had the same 2 float switch unit for... at least 10 years, maybe closer to 15? I've used it on every build that's had a sump and it's being used on my current one. I tried out an optical sensor and that's the only time I've had an issue that I can remember  - just bad luck probably but I'd highly recommend autotopoff.com. The only drawback is that it's bigger than any other kit but if you have the room it's the way to go.

I had my old JBJ for yeeeears,if I ever kept any equipment ever it was that until my last few tanks. Optical sensors have been a nightmare for me. 

But thank you,and all I needed was to hear that especially from you. What is bulky about it,the arm that holds the sensor or what ? I am wanting just the single sensor and I have a pill bottle to put it in instead of that HUGE pvc piece they would supply. 

• Like 1
Sturgi_0225

I’ll post pictures of mine tonight if you want. 
The housing is what’s bulky it’s a 3/4” pvc cap used as a “snail” guard but like mentioned above if you have a sump who really cares. 

the nice thing is it truly is just on/off signal and to clean or adjust is easy

Justind823

Since I'm sitting right next to it 😅 That pump is a Varios-2 for scale

Like Sturgi said - it's the 3/4" pvc that makes it a bit bulky but if it's in the sump no biggie.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Sturgi_0225 said:

I’ll post pictures of mine tonight if you want. 
The housing is what’s bulky it’s a 3/4” pvc cap used as a “snail” guard but like mentioned above if you have a sump who really cares. 

the nice thing is it truly is just on/off signal and to clean or adjust is easy

Heck yeah,I appreciate the input. Looks way better than spending $100 on unneeded optical sensors and silly "technology". Mine is going in a AIO section I am making in the corner of the tank. 

42 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

Like Sturgi said - it's the 3/4" pvc that makes it a bit bulky but if it's in the sump no biggie.

image.jpeg

Yeah I will opt for a old pill container before I use that god awful ugly bulky thing lol. Thank you for the pictures though. Obviously the "snail guard is optional and doesn't have to be used. 

44 minutes ago, Privateer said:

I love mine…super simple and it works!

Awesome,I appreciate it. 

mitten_reef
47 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

image.jpeg

side note,

what the hell? you have a tank running?  where's the build thread?  have I been living under a rock?  

• Haha 3
34 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

side note,

what the hell? you have a tank running?  where's the build thread?  have I been living under a rock?  

I think its the same tank he has had since like 800 BC,no ? Well I know he did upgrade to a almost like 20g a few years back so I retract that statement lol. 

Their stuff is simple, overbuilt, and reliable. I've been using one of their float switch relayed outlets to catch any possible DT overflows for something like 12 years now and it's never failed. I test it every few month or so and I've never had an issue. They must have assumed I was going to use it to switch power to a small city since it's built with 8ga wire.

• Haha 1