Coral Vue Hydros

Coral identification

Bigals-nano-1

Bigals-nano-1

I picked up these two corals at the weekend and just wanted to check on the id. I think the first is an encrusting monti but not sure on the second one wether it is a monti or stylo. They were both cheap so think I got a good deal either way. Thanks. 

3E47304D-7074-4032-AC25-87257919EE19.jpeg

6D9C2863-9E2F-48A8-930B-54C81FD403D3.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bigals-nano-1 said:

I picked up these two corals at the weekend and just wanted to check on the id. I think the first is an encrusting monti but not sure on the second one wether it is a monti or stylo. They were both cheap so think I got a good deal either way. Thanks. 

3E47304D-7074-4032-AC25-87257919EE19.jpeg

6D9C2863-9E2F-48A8-930B-54C81FD403D3.jpeg

That second frag needs removed from the tank to get those vermetid snails off of it or they will spread to the rest of the rock. I like to use sharp tweezers to clear the entire spiral shell off. That frag should recover after they are removed. 

• Like 1
Bigals-nano-1
21 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

That second frag needs removed from the tank to get those vermetid snails off of it or they will spread to the rest of the rock. I like to use sharp tweezers to clear the entire spiral shell off. That frag should recover after they are removed. 

Yeah I will remove it tonight and get them off. The frag was only £2.50 so if it recovers it was a good deal. Do you know the correct name for it? 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
18 minutes ago, Bigals-nano-1 said:

Yeah I will remove it tonight and get them off. The frag was only £2.50 so if it recovers it was a good deal. Do you know the correct name for it? 

The polyps look more like monti to me

• Like 3

They both look like montis to me. That second frag should recover fine once the vermetids are off, and its damaged areas may even be entirely due to the snails harassing it. You got a pretty good deal, I'd say. 

The vermetids are those spiraled purple-maroon-ish things. They're a type of stationary snail that puts out mucus nets to snare food. When directly on corals, the mucus nets can severely irritate the coral. 

• Thanks 1
Bigals-nano-1
1 hour ago, Tired said:

They both look like montis to me. That second frag should recover fine once the vermetids are off, and its damaged areas may even be entirely due to the snails harassing it. You got a pretty good deal, I'd say. 

The vermetids are those spiraled purple-maroon-ish things. They're a type of stationary snail that puts out mucus nets to snare food. When directly on corals, the mucus nets can severely irritate the coral. 

Thanks, I have got the vermetids removed from it now.  It was definitely a good price and the green one is about palm size and was only £10 so couldn’t turn them down at that price.