inTank Media Baskets

Cycling a new tank

BubbleTrouble

BubbleTrouble

I'm cycling my new 13.5g FluvalEvo tank soon, and I just am unsure of some stuff I've read so far.

1. Do I do water changes during the rock cycle?
  2. Do I need both live sand and live rock? My father in law has some dead rock, so according to some stuff I've read maybe I'd be able to seed the dead rock with live sand
  3.  From what I've gathered, I should basically do two cycles. One with rock for a month+, and one with the clean up crew for a month, then coral/fish. Does this seem right or?

Thanks guys 🙂

Toomanymatts

Ideally add some live rock, as much as you can afford.  That will help with the cycle and the biodiversity.  

Sand is a personal preference, but the sand isn't live, but it comes with bacteria that you add to it,  

Look up fishless cycle.  Change your water once your ammonia comes down and your nitrates are above 20.  

Personally, if you add live rock, you should let the tank sit for the recommended fallow period to prevent ICH and other stuff.  build up your CUC as algae starts to grow and research how to QT new fish in a separate tank, that is going to be your biggest challenge to keeping healthy fish.   

BubbleTrouble
7 hours ago, Toomanymatts said:

Personally, if you add live rock, you should let the tank sit for the recommended fallow period to prevent ICH and other stuff.  build up your CUC as algae starts to grow and research how to QT new fish in a separate tank, that is going to be your biggest challenge to keeping healthy fish.   

Okay, great! I'm going to do some dead rock for added decor as well as live rock for the biodiversity.

Another question, lights off and no filter when cycling or keep one or the other? Im getting a lot of mixed information from different threads so I am unsure

Amnemonemomne

keep the light off so that no algae grows when the tank is cycling, you can turn on the light every once in awhile to show your friends or something but don't leave the light on.