SaltCritters.com

Finaly!

Deleted User 8530

Deleted User 8530

Finaly I have Identified an Anemone I have in my tank by reading! WOAH! Like a book. Well I have a Jewel Aneneme in my tank Well actualy like 4. Anyone else ahve em in there tanks? Here is a pic

JewelAnem.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have a of couple different ones in my tanks. Some have a pink base and some have a tan/orange base. They are actually of the family Corallimorphidae, which is related to mushrooms and ricordias.

I think that I may have one too. I always kind thought that it looked like a crown of jewels. Mine is a little smaller than a dime, yellowish and always closed up during the day. Once the light goes off it opens up. Nifty little critter!

I've seen the tan variety in my tank, I thought they were some sort of majano anemone so I joejuiced them, but they appear to survive the JJ...

I've noticed a new one from time to time which made me think they were a "pest-like" anemone (aiptasiamajano)...

can anyone confirm?

What does the book that you got the picture from call them? I would consider them a pest if they are stinging you other corals. I have had to remove one from a rock because it was stinging some zoos, but I still don't consider it a pest. Ateast for now anyways.

According to Fossa and Nilsen in the Modern Coral Reef Aquarium Vol 2, they are most likely either a Corynactis sp. or Pseudocorynactis sp.

I got mine (~6) from a LFS that I was helping redo a wall of fish tanks to put in a huge frag tank. As we were sorting though the sand and rocks I noticed these "Strawberry anenomes" that hitchhiked on a bunch of rocks and shells, the owner let me have them because no one was going to intentionly buy them. They do have a strong sting to them. Try touching one when the lights are out, it will grab a hold of your finger pretty good. They should be fed if you want to keep them healthy and multipling.

Deleted User 8530

Ahh. The book said it was a Jewel anem. I feed them Brine Shrimp preety regularly. Very interesting cretures. How long have you had yours? Also how manyhave they multipolied into.

I have had mine for about 4 months now, I intentional brought home ~6 and there were more that were on some of the rock and shells that I got too. I have found atleast 4 more spread throughout the system, whether from multipling or already being attached to rocks and I just recently noticed them.

I got them because I thought they were pretty neat and I wanted to learn some more about them. I have always liked the strawberry anenomes off the coast of Cali but, I don't have a cold water tank to keep them in.

Archived