SaltCritters.com

Is my neon green Kenya tree dead?

InAtTheDeepEnd

InAtTheDeepEnd

Haven't changed anything in the tank but my tree looks like this, flopped over and a bit wrinkled, as of yesterday afternoon and this morning and I'm not sure why. Has it died? Why?  I had the lights off since the 17th but they've been back on for two days now.

PXL_20220525_073314417.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20220525_073334846.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20220525_073304188.NIGHT.jpg

Definitely not dead.  Why did you have the lights off?  They get the majority of their nutrition from photosynthesis.  In addition, they can capture micro-plankton with their polyps and even uptake inorganic nutrients (phosphate and nitrate) from the the water.  They can also occasionally shed (slough off a thin layer of tissue) to remove algae, detritus, etc.  People often get concerned the first time they witness this.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

They flop when unhappy. It's also normal for them to look funky at night, as they shrink down to protect themselves. Keep your lights on so your corals don't starve, and it should sort itself out.

• Like 1
InAtTheDeepEnd

Yeah I turned the lights off and covered the tank to help tackle a massive blue green cyanobacteria issue, I wasn't deliberately 'starving' my corals 😅 just so long as it's not dead it should be fine now because the cyano is gone and the lights are back on.

• Like 1

Soft corals need nitrates. All corals do, but especially softies. Generally you want about 5-10ppm. You also want at least 0.03ppm phosphates. Compared to that, your current phosphates are quite high (and your test kit isn't useful for reef sensitivities of phosphate), however, phosphate that's quite high is fine for corals as long as there's also some nitrates. 

More nitrates would probably be helpful. 

• Thanks 1
InAtTheDeepEnd
7 hours ago, Tired said:

Soft corals need nitrates. All corals do, but especially softies. Generally you want about 5-10ppm. You also want at least 0.03ppm phosphates. Compared to that, your current phosphates are quite high (and your test kit isn't useful for reef sensitivities of phosphate), however, phosphate that's quite high is fine for corals as long as there's also some nitrates. 

More nitrates would probably be helpful. 

OK, thank you very much for your help, really useful 🙂