Top Shelf Aquatics

QT Tank Protocol

Toomanymatts

Toomanymatts

I got hit with ICH on the first round of adding fish. Lost both fish in there  I want to do this round right.  

I have a yellow watchmen goby, fire fish, and purple fire fish in a QT tank. 

I'm planning to follow this while the display is in fallow:  https://humble.fish/quarantine/

Display has:

Astraea Snails 3
Cerith Snails 1
Blue Leg Hermit Crab 4
Scarlet Hermit Crab 1
Nassarius Snails 2
Trochus Snails 1
Emerald Crab 1
Pistol Shrimp

My question about this is that it sounds like you run copper and metroplex concurrently.  But I can't tell if you you are supposed to wait for 30 days in copper, and reduce/remove copper before adding prazipro.  

What's the correct order of events?

Humblefish
On 5/22/2022 at 1:56 AM, Toomanymatts said:

My question about this is that it sounds like you run copper and metroplex concurrently.  But I can't tell if you you are supposed to wait for 30 days in copper, and reduce/remove copper before adding prazipro.  

What's the correct order of events?

It is best to dose Prazipro after 30 days in copper. You can combine prazi + copper in an emergency situation, but you run the risk of a bacterial bloom (cloudy water) occurring. Which can starve oxygen out of the water.

• Like 1
Toomanymatts
11 hours ago, Humblefish said:

It is best to dose Prazipro after 30 days in copper. You can combine prazi + copper in an emergency situation, but you run the risk of a bacterial bloom (cloudy water) occurring. Which can starve oxygen out of the water.

Thanks!  

I picked up a few fish over the weekend and I think one isn't doing so hot.  Haven't seen it eat, looking a little skinny.  Going to check the parameters shortly, but I don't believe its the water as the other 2 are doing well.  Any suggestions on my next step?   I was planning to start the protocol on Thursday once everything I need arrives.  I didn't really want to start it on day one as I wanted to make sure they are eating and didn't want to deal with an initial ammonia spike.   

Humblefish
17 hours ago, Toomanymatts said:

I picked up a few fish over the weekend and I think one isn't doing so hot.  Haven't seen it eat, looking a little skinny.  Going to check the parameters shortly, but I don't believe its the water as the other 2 are doing well.  Any suggestions on my next step?   I was planning to start the protocol on Thursday once everything I need arrives.  I didn't really want to start it on day one as I wanted to make sure they are eating and didn't want to deal with an initial ammonia spike.   

Which one isn't eating?

Toomanymatts
3 hours ago, Humblefish said:

Which one isn't eating?

One of the two flamefish.  At least last night.  Nitrate was at 25 so I changed the water.  Also dumped some phytoplankton in there as the water is so new.  The two healthy fish perked up even more once I poured that in.  Heading home from work, we shall see how things are....

Humblefish
On 5/24/2022 at 8:02 PM, Toomanymatts said:

One of the two flamefish.  At least last night.  Nitrate was at 25 so I changed the water.  Also dumped some phytoplankton in there as the water is so new.  The two healthy fish perked up even more once I poured that in.  Heading home from work, we shall see how things are....

Try something small like calanus or fish eggs.

Toomanymatts
4 hours ago, Humblefish said:

Try something small like calanus or fish eggs.

OK.   I just got some brine shrimp to hatch, if that doesn't work i'll pick up some of that.  Thanks!

• Like 1