Coral Vue Hydros

Identify this these things

Gross111

It looks like aiptasia to me. I've heard they're bad, but some tanks are devoted exclusively to them. In either case, they will spread extremely quickly, so you must decide if you want to keep them soon. I've found that a 2:1 water:calcium hydroxide (kalk/pickling lime) takes care of them quickly. Just buy a syringe from the grocer or a pet store.

Now I have a question:

On the left is something black that looks like it's leaking from a mussel. The brown on the left has been growing there for a while, and I like it, I just want to know what to call it.

I'm also not entirely sure what this is. I bought it yesterday thinking it was frogspawn, but it's not quite as full as the others I've seen. I thought it was hammer breifly but it doesn't seem to have two "heads" on the end of the arms.

Thanks

gross,

your 1st pic looks like hydroids (kinda fuzzy).

the 2nd looks like a torch to me too.

lucub,

the black looks like a sponge.

the polyp-thingy could be a stony coral or anemone. is there a skeleton visible?

i'd say stony (galaxia?). it looks too bunched together for any or the nuisance anemones imo.

it's a bit of catch-all phrase here.

sometimes they're used to refer to the juvenile stage of some jellyfish or corals. basically, a stalked polyp with stingers on top. (that's a lay definition but does describe it accurately visually at least imo)

sometimes it's the juvie stage of another type of animal but basically they're usually sessile animals with stinging capabilty that resemble yellow polyps/zoanthids.

i think you just took off a couple of years off my brain making me explain that. X)

Gross....I am leaning towards Aptasia and I would say it is a colony just starting. Not to disagree with the master of small creepy things(Tiny), but my experience with hydroids is, that they are much smaller, with less tentacles and usually attach to the glass......

Lucu....I think what you have there is an encrusting chicken liver sponge, again this is just a quick, shoot from the hip, guess......

The base of the (torch) coral is hard, and there are three heads to it.

The black is soft when I poked at it, but it doesn't have any hole in it, I thought sponges did.

How about the thing on the right next to the "sponge?

Gross, you have hydroids like Tiny said. Possibly Myrionema hydroids.

lucubrator, your first pic looks like a galaxia coral. The black blob is a sponge, there appears to be little holes on the surface of it. The second pic is of a torch coral.

Dr. Saltwater

Photo 1:

The brown polyps look like a stick/tree polyp (Acrozoanthus-sp.) to me, pretty sure they are what I think.

The white object on the right looks like a small Zoo (Zoanthus-sp.)

Photo 2:

The black object is probably a black Sponge (Ircinia strobilina -> not sure of the name)

Photo 3:

A Torch Coral for sure! (Euphyllia Glabrescens)

Dr. Saltwater
Originally posted by Gross111

Hey Dr saltwater, are you talking about pic 1

No second picture on the right. But I doubt it ... the other corals you asked for I'm 95% sure I'm wright

Archived