Innovative Marine Aquariums

PH?'s

Anthonyh821

Hi all. I have an Eclipse 6 tank with 6-7lbs of LR and a good 2-3in DSB. I aslo have 1astrea, 1 turbo, and 1 starcus (sp?) All the parameters are good except the PH is a little low.

NH3-0

NO2-0

SP-1.024

temp-84

I have some Seachem Marine Buffer and was wanting to know if I should add any. Maybe do a water chage? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. By the way the tank has been setup for 4 weeks.

A water change will help bring your pH back up. Most salts have a slightly elevated pH, this helps as pH normally drops in reef aquariums. The slightly high pH helps ballance out the pH (a buffer will also prevent the drop in pH). However, if you preform weekly or bi-weekly waterchanges you probably won't need a buffer.

Originally posted by printerdown01

A water change will help bring your pH back up. Most salts have a slightly elevated pH, this helps as pH normally drops in reef aquariums. The slightly high pH helps ballance out the pH (a buffer will also prevent the drop in pH). However, if you preform weekly or bi-weekly waterchanges you probably won't need a buffer.

Thats what I was thinking. I wanted to avoid using the buffer if at all possible. I will check it again after the wc to see if that brought it up. If it doesn't I guess I will go ahead and use the buffer.

Best test ever! Make up a fresh new batch of water... Let it sit over night... then run a pH test on it... This will tell you if your Salt company is trying to help you out by elevating the pH ;). - and at this point you will no for sure, how much water changes will help the problem.

Archived