Top Shelf Aquatics

Mantis Mountain, 25

Alexraptor

Sort of a re-start of a failed tank, with fresh sand, and fully re-cycled live rock. Alas there is not much to see yet, as my new mantis is rather camera-shy. He absolute hates, and will not tolerate the DSLR. 😄

I'm very happy to say though that he has decided to make his burrow, front and center in the tank. 🙂

MantisTank2022-1.thumb.jpg.d4ad168048fef458c52d69c286cae811.jpg

(Photo a bit out of date)

Equipment:

- 2x24W T5's (Testing out an ATI Purple Plus and Aquablue Special combo.)

- Tunze Nanostream 6020

- Aquael 100W shatter-proof heater.

- Ye olde Red Sea Prizm skimmer, Anno 2005.

Livestock:

- Mantis shrimp, believed to be a Gonodactylaceus Falcatus.

- Assortment of frogspawn cuttings scattere around the tank.

- Red and green monti frags scattered about.

- Blastomussa

- Pavona dessucata

NewMantisApril2022-1.thumb.jpg.f45161165f4634026a2bdf143252ed99.jpg

• Like 4

A little fuzzy image quality, I dug out my old Sony Handycam and placed it on the opposite side of the room and zoomed in. ( a little too much maybe). And I managed to coax him out a little with a pellet and tweezers. 🙂

Not entirely sure if he is a falcatus or a ternatensis.

Edit: Making a bit of progress on the image quality front. Actually did not get spooked by me sitting with the camera in front of the tank, just now. 🙂

MantisPortraitFeb2022.thumb.jpg.6304ebdcc3eeca180e4d04a807cce548.jpg

Edited by Alexraptor
Added Photo
  • Like 4
  • Wow 1

Big meal this morning. Tried again to film with the DSLR, a little in and out of focus, but enough to give one a good idea of his appearance. 🙂

Wondering If he may actually be a ternatensis, and not a falcatus.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It was a near miss too, which is why it's not quite in focus. I was searching for him to take a picture, and he just popped out and I turned the camera on him, fast. 🙂

Recorded this last weekend after his first water change. Felt he deserved a little meal after draining and re-filling the tank. 😉

• 2 weeks later...
Alexraptor

After a period of intense activity, and waning appetite, last week, I correctly assumed a molt was pending. After a few a nerve-wracking 3-days, he has once again emerged! Very very shy, but more than happy to swipe the pellets I dropped down in front of his burrow entrance.

I also managed to fish out a little souvenir that had been thrown out onto the sand bed. 🙂

G.Ternatensis-RaptorialMolt-May2022.thumb.jpg.7c52cf17c2d7add485f6c26b3d1269f5.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
Alexraptor

Welp! I got punched yesterday, while trying to affix a frag to the rockwork. Like sticking my finger in a mousetrap!  Now he's super cocky, and the first thing I see when I enter the room is this! 😂

MeralSpread2022-05-31-1.thumb.jpg.0d0c04fa6a55a33f63fe4bab6457ddc5.jpg

• Haha 3