Innovative Marine Aquariums

Catalina Goby??

JROC

Any expericince with a Catalina Goby in a Nano? I have looked at them many times and been amazed at thier tiny size and stunning beauty. Anyone know if they eat amphipods and copepods? If so they would be a no-no for sure! They are the perfect size!

well unless you are planning on having your tank no warmer than 70 degrees dont get it. they are a fairly cold water fish since they are founf right on the central coast of california off of the catalina island....they are a great fish thoguh in the right conditions.

While they will tolerate the 75-78 range of most reef aquariums, it will severely shorten their lifespan.  Few live past two years in typical reefs.  They should be kept in 68-72deg water, and will be quite hardy and easy to care for in those conditions.

printerdown01

Why reef aqarium stores sell these guys and gonipora is beyond me! A store in SD always has catalina gobies in stock! -It drives me nuts, lol!

I find it hard to give them that much credit.

Too often do fish stores sell animals that have no place in home aquariums.

Catalinas are local, beautiful, peaceful, and reputed to be hardy, making them inexpensive and easy-to-sell for fish stores.  In my experience, most of the time the store employees don't even realize the special needs of 90% of their fish.  Mostly because they only have to keep them alive for a couple of weeks, where the home aquariaist wants them to live for years.  This is why they think anemones are hardy, mandarin gobies can live in 10g, and nudibranches are easy to keep.

Sorry for the minor rant, but I'm with printerdown...  I hate seeing these kinds of animals for sale with such disregard.

Nice to see everyone's positive attitude on this. This is a great hobby, but if it ain't about what is best for the animls, then it is a bad hobby...period.

Archived