inTank Media Baskets

Quarantine / Observation Tank Question

Crabgrass

Brand new to the forum and planning on setting up a second hand IM 20g Abyss Panorama.  I will start a separate thread on that, but want to plan ahead on livestock introduction.

Does it make sense to setup a second semi-permanent tank over the next 6-24 months as I introduce new livestock to the display tank?   I was thinking about cycling a simple 10g glass bottom tank, that would serve as a quarantine / observation tank to introduce CUC, fish and eventually maybe coral to.  Few questions:

#1 Since this will run parallel to getting my DS stocked, do I need to dump / empty all of the water in quarantine  tank after each fish?  Or could I simply let it run empty for a period of time?  This is assuming I didn’t observe parasites / sickness.  Obviously, if the livestock dies or gets very sick in there I would dump it and start over.

#2. This could be a separate thread, but is there a recommended order for introducing CUC, fish and coral.  I understand that it is a nutrient balancing act, but for someone staring as a Day 1 beginner, does anyone have suggestions?

thanks and I am looking forward to this journey!

-keith 

less than bread

This is just my opinion. Everyone is different but for only a 20 gallon tank, you’re not gonna have much livestock in the way of fish so the chances of introducing an illness is low and even if an illness is introduced, you wouldn’t lose much anyway. Are you looking to get really expensive fish? For a tank that small, I don’t think having a QT is worth it.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1