Top Shelf Aquatics

? on the size of acans

sadie

jcrisman2009
5 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

Eventually a 40 Breeder, but likely gonna do 20L or 29 Gallon for first upgrade. I've got all 3 tanks, the 20L is already painted black on the back.  DINO and Bubble algae has slowed down the transition plans.  I could keep as is or upgrade any time.  I've got plenty of spare Marco Rock and extra sand from my initial setup purchase.

With the 20L I'm gonna really appreciate the extra 2" of sand in front of tank.  If the Talbot Damsel lets me.... lol

A 29 gallon is a good step up! I started with a 10g then moved to a 20g and this last transfer was to a 40g. 

jcrisman2009
4 minutes ago, jcrisman2009 said:

This was my 20g….. small tank size means nutrients build up rather quickly. Evidenced by all the algae.

CF4FF404-A656-4BBE-BE62-B5AF04547694.JPG

And this is what I moved up to. My advice when you do make the move, don’t rush getting it done.

FF48CF0A-BDD8-47C0-A8C5-C7A2A65C2C72.jpeg

614988FC-64B0-47CC-A04C-B46AA861080B.jpeg

2917F896-4422-426B-8D0D-79B354878080.jpeg

FD208342-ECD8-4803-909B-2A9C56935D3D.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice tanks.  I see you went heavy soft corals on the smaller tanks.

Did you find your larger tank is having less algae b/c of the larger water volume?  I now the larger volume = more stability.  But I figure in that equation - there are probably bigger tank / bigger problem issues too....??

With the 10 gallon it's pretty easy to fix a mistake of nutrients / algae / whatever b/c of small size and water volume.  It is hard to feed food without getting a bit too much in there though. 

... Only 2 clowns in that 40 Breeder? 

I couldn't have that.  Need my fish swimming

• Thanks 1
jcrisman2009
11 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

Nice tanks.  I see you went heavy soft corals on the smaller tanks.

Did you find your larger tank is having less algae b/c of the larger water volume?  I now the larger volume = more stability.  But I figure in that equation - there are probably bigger tank / bigger problem issues too....??

With the 10 gallon it's pretty easy to fix a mistake of nutrients / algae / whatever b/c of small size and water volume.  It is hard to feed food without getting a bit too much in there though. 

... Only 2 clowns in that 40 Breeder? 

I couldn't have that.  Need my fish swimming

It isn’t so much as soft coral heavy just the devils hand leather kept on dropping fingers. I scrubbed most of the rock prior to putting them into the new tank. The only big issue I can think of is that is a lot of water and if there’s an earthquake then it’s gonna be a tsunami in my lab. While yes a small tank means not having to tote tons of water but some corals take in a lot of calcium and magnesium and will deplete the water rather quickly. I still tend to feed a little too much but it does feed the other critters hiding in the rocks. I have 2 clowns, 1 pajama cardinal fish and a lawnmower blenny. I’m hoping to maybe get a royal gramma or something that is peaceful but swims around a little more. The bigger the tanks the longer it takes for nutrients to build up.

Edited by jcrisman2009

Royal Grammas are great looking fish with personalities when they feel comfortable.  I had one in my 10 gallon for about 2 weeks.  Was small guy and super shy when he came in.  Took 3 days til he stopped wedging himself into rock crevaces and found a home / cave tunnel he burrowed under rocks.  He'd slowly come out each day when lights came on.  And an hour or 2 later be swimming all around the tank. 

Clownfish lived alone too long and owned the tank so there wasn't many options for him to home in the 10 gal but he wa good for a few days.. Then I felt the need to get some corals and he freaked out when I put a frag at both of his home entrances.  Left his home and never could find another place to feel safe..  Within 2 weeks found him stuck to circulation pump.  .. sad. 

IMHO -  40 gal would be perfect for that fish. You have plenty of hiding spaces for one.  I'd make sure to get one that's swimming out in your LFS vs a hider.  Some can be quite shy

Lawnmower blennies are cool too. Does yours make a mess in your sandbed?

• Agree 1
jcrisman2009
16 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

Lawnmower blennies are cool too. Does yours make a mess in your sandbed?

Not that I have noticed. It actually has a hide hole under a shell up on the rockwork and another on the substrate not far from the first. This pic is him in his second hiding spot on the substrate .

4FA406A6-CF0E-4E28-8E1E-37E4B64472E0.jpeg

• Like 2
jcrisman2009
30 minutes ago, sadie said:

that's an awesome picture!!

Thank you 😊 Scooter seems very happy with all his hiding spots and plenty of algae to eat. He’s a lot bigger now than when I first got him

jcrisman2009
16 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

Within 2 weeks found him stuck to circulation pump.

I know the feeling. I had one once in my 20 gallon and found him partially hanging out of a hole dead. Me and my mom figured he may have been old to begin with. I was devastated. He was an active although very skittish swimmer.

• Like 1