SaltCritters.com

Help Make My Water Change Life Easier!

JuicyJJuice

JuicyJJuice

Hello! 

I started my first reef tank a few years ago, but it has not been a very rewarding experience which I believe largely relates to my water changes (or lack thereof). I was previously renting a small condo and while I had a RO/DI, I found myself doing water changes less and less frequently because it was a total nightmare in my space and using tap water for top ups. This, understandably, led to water quality issues and various forms of algae etc becoming prevalent in my tank. 

I have now purchased my own, slightly larger condo, and there is hot and cold water shutoffs in the office where I plan to place my tank. SO, my question to all of you fine folks is: What equipment do I require to make water changes and tank maintenance as simple and hands off as possible by tying into the cold water shutoff line? 

I have a RO/DI, ATO, and a commercial garbage can for water mixing. I am assuming I will need a sump, but not sure what else! I have attached my tank specs as well as a very rough diagram of the room. 

Tank: Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion Lagoon 25

Stand:  Innovative Marine APS

Lighting: Aqua Illumination Prime HD and Aqua Gadget ChaetoMax

Aquascape: Approx. 20lbs  Marco Rock

Sand: CaribSea Arag Alive Fiji Pink 

Pump: Sicce Syncra 1.5

Flow:  Aqua Illumination Nero 5 and VCA RFG Nozzles.

Heater: Eheim Jager 75w x 2

Tank Filtration: inTank Media Basket w/ Chemi Pure Blue, Fuge Basket, and Filter Floss Holder

Water Filtration: Reef Crest Pure RO/DI 100gpd

Salt: Red Sea Blue Bucket

Additives: MicroBacter 7 or Seacham Stability

Testing: API Saltwater Master/ Hanna Phos. ULR/Hanna Alk Colorimeter/Hanna Salinity tester

Thanks in advance, 

Graham 

Capture.JPG

JuicyJJuice

Depending on how long it has been it ranges from 5-15G. I change the water to promote coral health and growth and to try and address algae blooms. 

M. Tournesol

I am trying to think about how could I help you but I cannot imagine why mixing your water was a total nightmare.

Could you give us more details about what are your requirement for your mixing/water change station?

I suppose your first problem was space?

JuicyJJuice
1 hour ago, M. Tournesol said:

I am trying to think about how could I help you but I cannot imagine why mixing your water was a total nightmare.

Could you give us more details about what are your requirement for your mixing/water change station?

I suppose your first problem was space?

Yes, it really comes down to space. I have to move the garbage can into the only bathroom, slowly fill it with RO/DI, blend salt over night, then move it into the living room, run a python hose from the kitchen sink across etc. If something comes up I end up with a garbage can of water sitting in my bathroom for a week, and sometimes it forms residue and I end up dumping it out and starting again. I really just want to be able to open some valves and do it on demand. 

Thanks! 

M. Tournesol

Your situation is complex... 

If you really want something hand off and have the money, you could go for an auto water change setup.
The simpler I have seen is reefloat (you will have to pay supplement and VAC for shipping as this is a UK based company).

In case you want a simpler setup, here are some questions:
Why couldn't you put your garbage can below your tank (in the cabinet)?
What is your current space availability?
Could we have a photo of your closet?
Do you have a drain pipe in your closet?

less than bread

Have you looked into places near you where you can buy RODI water instead of making it yourself? I despised trying to make my own water. It took forever and was just a pain. I get RODI water from my local fish store and it's very cheap. I've also heard of people running their tanks with distilled water you can get in jugs from any grocery store. At just 25 gallons, you wouldn't be spending a lot or needing to haul a lot around.

TheKleinReef

I would not get water from a LFS, the price markup is stupid when you think about the long term. For my 65 in Illinois, the SW mixing and RODI reservoir is in another room.

I used 30G brute containers on wheels to transfer water, whether it be SW for a waterchange or FW for ATO top off. Once you add wheels, the distance from the source to the tank becomes almost irrelevant.

I would drain the water from the tank into the brute, roll it to the sink, pump out the dirty water, fill it up with clean SW, then roll it back and fill the tank back up. Pretty smooth and seamless..You could even get a smaller square water storage container and build a roller with 2x4"s and caster wheels (if a brute is too big) keep a small utility pump in there and use it to transfer water easily.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

What I did with my Evo 13.5 was just hook up a dosing pump that pumps out a half gallon a day into a waste bucket in the stand and pulls mixed water from another bucket beside it. That way over the span of a week I've changed 3.5 gallons automatically and at some point (at my convenience) throughout the week I top off the fresh saltwater and empty the waste water bucket. They make bigger containers if you have space so you could mix up a months worth of water once then not have to worry about it again for weeks. The trickiest part is getting it to work with an ATO. I'm currently not running one but what I'm planning to do is hook it up to a smart plug and just schedule the plug to turn off while I'm doing the water change and turn on after

• Like 1

Water changes are overrated.

I am in a similar situation where I live in a smaller apartment and do not want an entire mixing station, large containers, big boxes of salt around. 

My solution is doing as very infrequent water changes. Maybe one or twice a year when I clean my sump. I dose all macro, micro and trace nutrients and export excess waste via macro algae refugium, carbon dosing and a skimmer.  I run quarterly ICP water tests to check the water quality. I have a small RODI unit (RO Buddie) to make my own top off water for the ATO.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...