inTank Media Baskets

? on Kenya Tree

sadie

I had a major GHA problem and was so desperate to get rid of it, I took out all my rock and scrubbed them (being careful not to bump any coral).  Everything was open and happy in about an hour except my kenya tree.  It deflated (which it has done before) while deflated the tips still came out and had nice color.  That was on 3/6

I was gently blowing some stuff off the rock with a turkey baster and my Kenya fell apart.  I still have some of the base attached to the rock, but the top of the tree and all the branches broke of in 2 or 3 pieces. 

I had a toadstool grow back from a tiny piece of flesh left on the rock, could this grow back?  I also heard Kenyas drop their branches to reproduce (though I know that's not what is happening here) Could the branches survive?  Is there anything I can do?

I am working on keeping my phos up (it went back down to 0 now at .05)  And I know my KH is REALLY high (14.8) I am working on getting that lower with WC.

Here is a pic from yesterday and one today.

Any help is really appreciated, thanks

Kenya and BB 3.9.22.JPG

kenya fell apart 3.10.22.JPG

Yes, Kenya trees can start over from a tiny nub left on a rock. You are correct that they drop pieces to self-propagate.  You can usually tell which end is the bottom and which is the top.  Stick the bottom of the piece in the sand in a low flow area. 

I put the 2 pieces in the sand best I could, but they seem to be moving around my tank.  Should I try to pin them in place with toothpicks so they don't move?  I'm not thinking of putting the toothpicks through their flesh, more like stakes on 3 sides so they can't drift.  Their little flowers open a bit, but the branches aren't really extending yet.

this one has found a spot under my tonga branch, but the other is in the back by the wall and doesn't open as much as this one.  that's the one I was thinking of "staking down".  I couldn't get a picture of it.

And does anyone knows what the red, fuzzy, algae is on my rocks?  It's new.

kenya adrift 3.14.22.JPG