Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fluval 13.5 Dead zones

Captain45

Im running a sicce .5 on the return with stock Y return nozzles. Im getting some dead zones on the LR directly below the return nozzles and cant seem to find a good way to position flow to reach that (lots of detritus settling). I have two 1/4" RFG nozzles I could put on the Y locline but I've heard the Sicce .5 doesnt have enough GPH for RFG and I cant image RFG's would even reach all the areas in the tank anyways.

Would you guys run a small wavemaker to assist in the deadzones? If so whats a good model that relatively low flow? Im just going to be running a pair of clowns and some mushrooms in this tank. I see people recommending the Nero 3 or the SW2 but those seem just too powerful?

20220310_150555.jpg

reefer_evo5

Hey nice aquasape I had this tank a while back and i used a nero 3 wave maker and placed it in the back wall where the filtration is and it helped with dead zones. there is a wave maker that hyger makes that is small aswell its from amazon https://www.amazon.com/hygger-Powerhead-Controller-Saltwater-Circulation/dp/B083LP42WZ/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1040O1X5HE69L&keywords=wave+maker&qid=1646950604&sprefix=wave+maker%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-6 this might be a good option for this tank as well and its a lot cheaper than the Nero 3 and also controllable hope this helps 

3 hours ago, reefer_evo5 said:

Hey nice aquasape I had this tank a while back and i used a nero 3 wave maker and placed it in the back wall where the filtration is and it helped with dead zones. there is a wave maker that hyger makes that is small aswell its from amazon https://www.amazon.com/hygger-Powerhead-Controller-Saltwater-Circulation/dp/B083LP42WZ/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1040O1X5HE69L&keywords=wave+maker&qid=1646950604&sprefix=wave+maker%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-6 this might be a good option for this tank as well and its a lot cheaper than the Nero 3 and also controllable hope this helps 

Hey thanks! I was happy with how it turned out too. Funny you mentioned the Hygger, just after posting this I found that one on amazon and decided to give it a shot and see, its not badly priced. Ill test it out when it comes in and update. Hopefully I can dial it down to a nice low volume flow. 

Toomanymatts

I am just getting my 13.5 cycled right now.  I left my pump stock.  I figured that was enough flow going through the filter.  I added a Sicce Voyager 1000 on the back as low as i could in the corner and pointed it up wards along the back wall to the diagonal corner.  That really made a difference.  It flows across the back, and then comes forward to the front of the tank.   I have it on a random timer and when it kicks on you can tell its moving around what settled for the filter to handle.  I'm actually getting a second one tomorrow and plan to put it in the opposite spot.  

I have the stock pump and nozzles, and have the same deadspot directly under the return nozzles. I have let this in place as this is where i draw water from with my water changes so i can ensure that i get most of the detritus out the tank 

Well I've got the Hygger setup and running. Programming is a little weird but essentially I have it set to the lowest setting (40% power) standard ramping up and down wave pattern and slowest frequency for all times of the day... For now at least. I do wish it's night program allowed for it to be turned off completely but oh well. Either rate it's pretty silent but I have a humidifier running in the room that drowns out aquarium noise anyways. 

I'm shocked how much ditritus has been kicked up and circulating. I've got much better flow in the back of the tank and under the return nozzles. The colonial hydroids back there are getting a good whipping so hopefully they'll disappear. It's hard to say if there is too much flow without corals and fish in but we'll see when I get a pair of clowns in a week or two. Judging by the small GHA flowing and speed at which the ditritus is circulating it seems okay. My sand is a bit bigger grains but doesn't appear to be affected. 

YouTube - Hygger mini WaveMaker - Fluval Evo

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 7:45 PM, Captain45 said:

Well I've got the Hygger setup and running. Programming is a little weird but essentially I have it set to the lowest setting (40% power) standard ramping up and down wave pattern and slowest frequency for all times of the day... For now at least. I do wish it's night program allowed for it to be turned off completely but oh well. Either rate it's pretty silent but I have a humidifier running in the room that drowns out aquarium noise anyways. 

I'm shocked how much ditritus has been kicked up and circulating. I've got much better flow in the back of the tank and under the return nozzles. The colonial hydroids back there are getting a good whipping so hopefully they'll disappear. It's hard to say if there is too much flow without corals and fish in but we'll see when I get a pair of clowns in a week or two. Judging by the small GHA flowing and speed at which the ditritus is circulating it seems okay. My sand is a bit bigger grains but doesn't appear to be affected. 

YouTube - Hygger mini WaveMaker - Fluval Evo

Thanks for including a video along with your review!  

I've used Hygger brand heater and lights before and have found them to be great balance of quality and value.  

Is the magnet mount piece (that goes on outside of tank) made of something that would be okay submerged?  I have an all in one tank and would like (possibly) to mount the wavemaker on the back wall of tank, but would need to put the magnet mount underwater.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 12:37 PM, Superdave said:

Thanks for including a video along with your review!  

I've used Hygger brand heater and lights before and have found them to be great balance of quality and value.  

Is the magnet mount piece (that goes on outside of tank) made of something that would be okay submerged?  I have an all in one tank and would like (possibly) to mount the wavemaker on the back wall of tank, but would need to put the magnet mount underwater.  

Nope I don't think it's waterproof. I was thinking of putting it in the sump chamber but upon inspection I think it would leach metals