Top Shelf Aquatics

White Spot

Charith1986

Charith1986

Hi, my tank got white spot and i lost my ocelaris clowns due to that. now the tank is running without fish and for how many days should i run the tank without any fish ?

as my tank got cycled recently there are a lot of algae on the glass and i am thinking of adding few snails, is it advisable due to white spot issue ?

But i heard snails do not carry white spot.

Thanks 

I think the fallow period is 76 days, although that maybe for Velvet I cant really remember. 

Personally I would add the CuC and then start the Fallow period, that way IF there is anything on the snails/crabs you should be able to avoid any complications 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
On 3/3/2022 at 5:24 AM, Charith1986 said:

Hi, my tank got white spot and i lost my ocelaris clowns due to that. now the tank is running without fish and for how many days should i run the tank without any fish ?

as my tank got cycled recently there are a lot of algae on the glass and i am thinking of adding few snails, is it advisable due to white spot issue ?

But i heard snails do not carry white spot.

Thanks 

Most of the info on disease you'll read in the hobby is hearsay.....so not very reliable.  Some good info, lots of myth and bad info too.

The questions that usually never gets asked are "What did I do wrong?" and then "How can I do it right?".   Instead, there's usually an assumption that the fish was just sick and what you did wrong was not medicating it......which is usually hogwash.

A few questions...

Was the fish healthy when you bought it?   How long had you been watching it at the store before purchase to know?

How did you handle the fish when you brought it home?   Many of the acclimation procedures you read are totally incorrect and will cause stress, possibly to the point of causing an immunity problem.

Did you put it in a well-seasoned tank?  Or did you put it in a tank that was freshly set up?  New tanks are unstable, and disease has a strong tendency to run rampant in unstable systems.

If you bought the fish online, that's a problem all by itself since long distance shipping is a whole other level of stress compared to a fish coming home from a LFS.  I wouldn't do this without using strong UV on the receiving tank, as well as micron filtration.  (A non-stressful chemical assist from something like the products from Ruby Reef would also not be a bad idea.)

Check out the related scientific journal articles gathered in the Fish section of my blog for LOTS more detail.  Post questions after reading if you have any!  🙂 

As for how you should proceed, I'd say doing nothing for a while is a good plan.  Use that time to read those articles and get those questions asked! 

Charith1986

My fish was all good for one month and they were healthy.

But I put a Cream Angel and thereafter my clown fish got white spot. I am pretty sure the angel has got it. and after couple of days the angel also shown white spot and first it died and thereafter the nemos.

3 hours ago, Charith1986 said:

My fish was all good for one month and they were healthy.

But I put a Cream Angel and thereafter my clown fish got white spot. I am pretty sure the angel has got it. and after couple of days the angel also shown white spot and first it died and thereafter the nemos.

Do you have any photos? Based on the timeline of deaths, it sounds more like Velvet: 

• Like 1