Top Shelf Aquatics

Duster Worms?

Captain45

Im about a week in on cycling a new fluval 13.5. One specific LR I picked up from my LFS appeared to have been used in a tank there as there is lighter coloration and Spirorbis where one section was below the sand line...I happened to place this rock upside down so what was down is now up 🙂

Ive noticed quite a bit of these popping up (about 20 scattered around). They are absolutely tiny, about the size of a pinhead and sway a lot in the current. Are these just a duster worm of some sort or start of a Aiptasia blowup?

Also, if anyone knows that type of snail that hitchhiked in and photobombed this pic, that would be cool too. Im guessing a Collonista?

Thanks!

2022-03-02.thumb.jpg.54f335a36592fa128777a584126a9147.jpg

Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @Captain45!

Those really look like little aiptasia anemones, they will grow with time. Difficult hitchhikers to avoid.

I think I also see some green bubble algae growing on the rock, to the upper left of your arrow. Best removed carefully during a water change, while you're siphoning water. Try to flick it like a booger, but avoid popping it.

• Like 1

😞 there are so many. I was really hoping they were dusters based on the large amount of old dead duster tubes on the rock. maybe I'll see how they grow and perhaps look at a pair of peppermint shrimp if they look more aneome-ish as they grow more.

Think I should just try to attack them now than later? Wouldnt even know what to do with something that small.