Innovative Marine Aquariums

What to do with zoa rock?

DevilDuck

Probably a dumb question, but i’ll ask anyway. I have a rock on my sand bed that is over grown with zoas. What do you do with it? Do you let it be? Will the zoas get larger? There is no place left for them to expand. Do I have to frag it?

I'll guess I'll stick with it for a little longer to see what happens. My sand is pretty fine and turned over constantly with the current livestock I have. 

I have 3 different zoas on there, probably end up fragging a few back up plugs then trading away the colony.

I see a lot of tank journals with full zoa gardens, every centimeter of rock covered. Do they just leave them be and let the different types of zoas duke it out amongst themselves? Does one ever become dominant and overtake the rest?

1F15425B-A90C-450C-9306-CEB7C3AA7256.thumb.jpeg.51a16b31e2c792936f04eae0cca069b8.jpeg

• Like 2
Murphs_Reef
2 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

I'll guess I'll stick with it for a little longer to see what happens. My sand is pretty fine and turned over constantly with the current livestock I have. 

I have 3 different zoas on there, probably end up fragging a few back up plugs then trading away the colony.

I see a lot of tank journals with full zoa gardens, every centimeter of rock covered. Do they just leave them be and let the different types of zoas duke it out amongst themselves? Does one ever become dominant and overtake the rest?

1F15425B-A90C-450C-9306-CEB7C3AA7256.thumb.jpeg.51a16b31e2c792936f04eae0cca069b8.jpeg

Nice mini zoa garden. I have rastas and space invaders that I need to cut back as they grow over other zoas but in the main they just grow up to each other from my experience. 

I do like to leave some on the sandbed.. they do well and give a nice pop of colour down low.. 👍🏼

• Like 1