Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hammer Coral drooping?

drewdarling

drewdarling

Okay so I just recently added a purple tip “Hammer” coral (It has hammer shaped tips but each tentacle has little sprouts similar to an Octospawn, maybe it’s normal, I just haven’t seen that before). Anyways, it seems to be opening okay but some of the tentacles seem to be drooping (just pointing down a bit).One of the mouths is also very slightly open, about a millimeter wide at most. Normally I wouldn’t worry but having both happen at the same time concerns me. The picture attached below is under white light so coloration looks dull, but it is not. Flow is provided by an MP10 running at only level 2 (Tank is only 5 Gallons) that is mounted in the center (tank picture was taken before any corals were added and is just to show MP10 placement). Tentacles are always moving but never thrashing so I wouldn’t think flow is an issue. Should I be concerned or am I just nitpicking a happy coral?

Parameters are tested with Salifert test kits:

Salinity: 1.025

Nitrate: 5-10

Phosphate: 0.1

Calcium: 435

Alkalinity: 8.7

Magnesium: 1350

PH: 8.2

5BD9EB86-B5DB-4C19-AEAF-95146DC461FA.jpeg

B4000CAA-47F8-4FAC-B381-7CE546E0CE7A.jpeg

drewdarling
34 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

Looks normal and happy to me. It maybe starting to split, seems to be getting to that size.

Wonderful! Thanks for the reassurance lol, do I need to do anything to help the little guy through it? 

drewdarling
1 hour ago, DevilDuck said:

Looks normal and happy to me. It maybe starting to split, seems to be getting to that size.

Well I think you’re right! only an hour later there’s is now clear tissue forming that goes from the mouth to the edge of the polyp!

0523CE56-ED91-46F0-95CF-2E2CF831A950.jpeg