Top Shelf Aquatics

Loc-line newbie questions

Superdave

I have a UNS60A and I want to make the connection between the filter area and the display tank a bit more secure.  Thought adding some loc-line, y-fitting and a couple of nozzles would make for some nice, additional flow as well.  The round hole drilled in the glass is 1/2 inch in diameter.  

So on to the beginner questions: 

Since the hole is 1/2 inch in diameter, I assume I need the 1/2 inch loc-line?  

Is there some sort of barbed fitting that will connect to loc-line?  The 1/2 inch tubing that come up from return pump has a 90 degree elbow on it that sticks through the hole into the display area.  Or do I need a certain kind of elbow, with barb on one end and then connect that to another piece that connects to loc-line?  

Below is a screen shot of what I was going to order (wish I would have thought of this when I ordered my top off system so I didn't have to pay shipping..grr) so let me know if someone knows what else I need.  

Thanks everyone!

Capture.PNG

• Superdave changed the title to Loc-line newbie questions
  • 5 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 12:34 PM, TheKleinReef said:

Yes, those are pieces I got.  

Have done more research and still cannot find a good solution.  

I think there are loc line pieces with the "loc" on one end and threaded on the other?  Just not sure if those are small enough to fit through (at least in part) through the 1/4 inch diameter hole in the glass back wall of my tank.   

15 minutes ago, Superdave said:

Yes, those are pieces I got.  

Have done more research and still cannot find a good solution.  

I think there are loc line pieces with the "loc" on one end and threaded on the other?  Just not sure if those are small enough to fit through (at least in part) through the 1/4 inch diameter hole in the glass back wall of my tank.   

Maybe I need something like the piece in the link below and then add another adaptor which would then allow me to connect to loc line?  

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/48714562

8 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

I think I know what you mean. you'll need a small threaded bulkhead to go through the tank wall/baffle wall, then screw the threaded lockline transition piece into that.

Yes.  Pain to try and find all of that..

7 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

Appreciate your help!  

It would seem I need something along those lines, yes.  But if the hole in the back wall of my tank is only 1/4 inch in diamter, if the smallest bulkhead in that locline component is 1/2 inch, then I think it won't work.  

Guess I just need to find 1/4 bulk head type fittings? 

14 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

how would that convert to lockline?

i think this is your limiting factor.

1/4" bulkheads do exist, but i'm not sure 1/4" lock line exists.

If I can get 1/4 inch bulk heads, then I can find an adaptor to connect from the bulkhead to the 1/2 loc line.  

2 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

my home depot has 1/4" john guest bulkheads.

the change from 1/4" to 1/2" is gonna drop your pressure from the line though.

Yeah, seen the John Guest stuff as well.  

And yes, might be fighting loosing battle with dropping pressure.  Might end up going route of single outlet there (and end the never ending search for random pieces!) and add a mini-wave maker/pump.