inTank Media Baskets

Out of Ideas

Kelsey

Everything in my tank that I want keeps dying. I have a 10g-11g, and I bought off FB so I don't know brand.  I had the tank cycle for almost two months before I did anything, used my brother in laws old sand (which I washed) as well as his old rock. I put in one coral frag at a time, up to about 5, and then I added one Royal Gramma. Everything was going great. Then one day I noticed one head of my Duncan was closing up, but I couldn't find anything wrong. Then a bit later, without looking sick, the fish died. Then EVERYTHING else started closing up, no matter what I did I couldn't make the corals happy. I fixed the salinity (per my brother in law) and never found anything else wrong with parameters. I had the water sent off to Germany for extensive testing, which came back with basically "do 3 20% water changes" but nothing major stood out.  I had my local big fish store test my water, also, nothing. 

I decided to start to doing larger water changes, and about twice a week. Did that for a few weeks until I was sure I had it down. Went back to my big fish store and got one mushroom coral and some more snails/crab (I had one previously that just never died and is still kicking) so I have about 4 snails/crabs. I only routinely see 3, the other I was told would "help turn over the sand" so he may be under there, no clue. It has now been about 3 weeks since getting the mushroom coral, and he doesn't look good, and now the only two other corals that weren't OBVIOUSLY dead, are starting to close up. Here are the current parameters. I've put so much time, energy, effort and care and I just cant seem to keep this thing happy. I'm very close to giving up at this point. 

Temp-77.2

Alk-8.8 

Salinity 1.026

Nitrite-0

pH-somewhere between 8.0-8.5

mushroom jpeg.jpg

hammer jpeg.jpg

star jpeg.jpg

tank jpeg.jpg

Edited by Kelsey
photos

Sorry about your frustration, it's understandable.

How long was everything alive and doing ok initially before the fish and then everything died?  

How did you cycle it in the first place?

How much light/flow/filteration is there?

how are you water changing, how does your whole routine work?

what if anything are you adding to the tank aside from saltwater and topping off with freshwater?

what is your ammonia/nitrate/phosphate at?

How are you collecting your data about salinity/temp/nitrite?

Is the tank in direct sunlight or something like that?

I know you said the rock came from your Bro-in-law's tank, but where did he have it before you got it?

• Agree 2