ReefCleaners.org

Coral ID help?

ZLogic

• 2 weeks later...
jcrisman2009
On 2/27/2022 at 12:11 PM, ZLogic said:

I picked this one up yesterday, but I don't remember it's name.  Also, what's the stringy stuff floating off of it?  Is it a sign of distress, maybe?

20220227_110629.jpg

Well I’m not sure of what the coral is but the stringy stuff is probably just mucus the coral uses to keep itself protected from drying out when you removed it from the water..or it could possibly be a vermetid snail casting a net?

So I'm told by the LFS I got it from that it's a cycloseris.  I read a bit on them and from what I've read, they're a deeper water coral.  So I moved it down to the bottom cave under an archway and it's color went back to the richer brown that it was when I got it.  It's also started spreading down off the sides of the plug and onto the rock, so it seems happier.  The camera on my phone doesn't it do it justice.

20220318_123353.jpg

20220318_123315.jpg

jcrisman2009
1 hour ago, ZLogic said:

So I'm told by the LFS I got it from that it's a cycloseris.  I read a bit on them and from what I've read, they're a deeper water coral.  So I moved it down to the bottom cave under an archway and it's color went back to the richer brown that it was when I got it.  It's also started spreading down off the sides of the plug and onto the rock, so it seems happier.  The camera on my phone doesn't it do it justice.

20220318_123353.jpg

20220318_123315.jpg

That doesn’t sound right…. cycloseris is a disc coral.

D9A67C66-9EC5-45B4-B310-9372C21F86CD.png

Edited by jcrisman2009
Fixed an error.
  • Like 1

I agree.  The ridge detail around the mouth looking yellow spots are pretty similar to my Jack o lantern leptoseris.  I don't know, but I know it's looking happier down in the shade.