Pod Your Reef

What type anemone is this ?

luisimo

So I got nano reef tanks a couple months ago and like every newbie I made a mistake, I believed my local aquarium.

I mention to them that I did some research and that I tought that anemones were too hard to mantain.

They swear to me that 'this' anemone was stronger than a bubble and easier to take care of (I did know about bubble anemones) as they knew that I didn't like the idea of 'mouth feeding'.

I was told that with my current set up :

Tru vu 10 gallon tank

Coralife 96 watt 50/50

Red Sea Deluxe Protein skimmer

Rio 50 power head (2)

15 lbs of life rock

10 lbs of life sand

All I had to do is feed it with 'coral life' invertebrate smorgasbord.

I have search the internet to find out about this anemone but I don't even know what it is :(

1. What type of anemone is this ?

2. What are its requierements ?

(sorry about the crappy pictures, taken with a phone camera)

sebae

good at hosting clowns

not too sure about the lighting req, but in general anenomes req high lighting. 10g 96w may be enough

yeah lfs suck, they always try to sell yuo on sumtin, and the worst part is that they have most of their Livestock under flourescents, making you think its ok, but they have such high turn around that you dont see the long term damage of corals/anemones/clams at the store

Sebae Anemone for sure. I had one and they are very hard to keep in my opinion. I believe they require high light like MH. I had mine under PC's and didn't do very good. But then again I bought it not knowing that it was a dyed anemone and was very stressed when it was introduced to my tank. Lasted only about 2 weeks. Bu they are cool looking.

Originally posted by raciampa

Deffinately a sebae.  A good 4 to 5 watts per gallon with at least a 10k bulb, but 20k would be great for it.

How do I calculate the watts per gallon ? Is it just a division? 96W / 10G ? Any idead what kind of wattage I have on my tank ?

Dr.Bones, Howf777, raciampa and Cesar... I did a search of Sebae and it 'kind' of looks like it but is it really a Sebae? :(

I did some reading about Sebae and they are hard to mantain, how do I know if it is dying ? What is the best thing to do with an anemone that you don't want? Donating it back to the aquarium that I got it doesn't seem like the best thing to do.

Thanks to everyone for posting back.

Luisimo you can tell it's dying when it starts to look kinda droopy. I dont know, but you can tell something is not right. It's kind of like a kid. You can tell it's different than other days. I noticed my Sebae started looking weird when it's mouth was fully open. Unusually large. When they get hungry they somewhat open up a bit bit not too much. Then when it's really sick, then it starts to melt. It becomes something like toothpaste. It's smells horrible too. It's smells like rotten fish. It's bad. But dont let it get to that point. If you see it melting pull it out fast.

Healthy Sebae anemones are NOT white. They are usually a cream or brown color. It was difficult to tell from your pic, but it looks like you may have a decent specimen. Sebaes can be a challenge to keep. As for any anemone, make sure all PH/filter intakes are screened off to prevent the anemone from being damaged.

"Easy" anemones are condylactis (sp?), bubble-tips and tube anemones. The tube ones have relatively low lighting requirements and come in some beautiful colors.

Not to burst anyone's bubble but, but a sabae anemone like that(which looks to be dyed) mostly likely will die from everything i've read. Sabaes are one of the most difficult to keep if not the most difficult.

:( Thank you for the heads up, I started mouth feeding it but I am more likely not going to keep it. I am scared of the anemone dying and killing my tank over the weekend while I am not at work.

Thank you for all the great follow up.

:*( I nkow how you feel. Your better off with one dying anemone than the whole tank. Take it in the rear this time and say good bye.

So I made up my mind to get rid of the anemone but as I was planning to pull the anemone out the damn female clown was all over it.

It took her over a month to like it !!!!!!

video from my phone

Now I am stuck with it, they look so 'cute' :blush:

Hmm well tell you what. Juts keep an eye on it. The anemone seems to be pretty opened up and up and taking those hard rubs from the clown. It might be stressed out because of the Dye but I've seen them get better in a good stable tank. You might be able to help him. For some reason I thought you meant that it was dying already. Keep and eye out dude.

Archived