inTank Media Baskets

When to add clean up crew.

Toomanymatts

How much algae should I see on the sand before added a clean up crew?  Right now I'd say about 25% of the sand has it.  I started using only the blue lights yesterday at first sight of the alage as I'm working through a cycle now from adding fish.  Trying not to have to deal with two things at once if I can avoid it. If I see more growth I might kill the lights all together until levels are back to zero.  

• 3 weeks later...

My Fluval 13.5 has been up for 2 weeks or so. Started getting green algae and hair algae a few days ago. I'd say about 50% sand covered and LR had a couple good spots of hair algae growing. My parameters for life seemed fine so I added 2 trochus, 2 cerith and two hermits and they made short work of everything. I'd say if you're numbers are stable, add some snails and see how it goes and cut lights down a bit more

Toomanymatts

Cool. The algae kinda cleared up on it's own.  I'm still trying to get through the tail end of this cycle before I add anything.  But I was thinking 2 snails 2 crabs to start.