Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Wild Child-total makeover nano-reno 11-3-22

kimdawg

On 11/4/2022 at 1:40 PM, debbeach13 said:

Welcome to the contest.

Thanks, I think it will be an up hill battle with the tanks condition right now.  I am adding to my goal list as I find problems.

4 get rid of aiptasia I found under the macro

5 add a foxface to the tank to help control the macro algae.

6 start a daily dose to keep up with the coral demands/change water every two weeks.

I hope with these six goals to have my tank back to a point where I am not ashamed for some one to see it.  A couple of the football gang that saw it tonight commented that it was already looking better.  You can at least see my fish and most of the RFA that I have in there.

• Like 4
TheCoffeeReef

I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops, what a rollercoaster you went through with it! I really liked the equilibrium you had when it was overgrown and just left to it's own devices, but can entirely see why you want some control back. The earliest images of the GSP encrusted walls and rocks have me excited for what's to come in mine.

• Like 1

I ordered a one spot foxface to replace the one I lost and control the macro algae growth in the display.  I also got 4 yellow tail damsels,  That puts my fish at a total of 15.  I did not intend to get that many but I found my royal gramma, and hector goby after I placed the order.

Fish List

3 bangaii cardinals

pj cardinal

royal gramma

hector goby

flame angel

one spot foxface

2 tiny clownfish

melanurus wrasse

4 yellow tail damsels

The pj cardinal is the biggest fish in the tank right now, so everyone else is really little.  The tank is a 75 display and a 20 planted sump.  I love a lot of small fishes, but do you think I have gone with to many fish?  I plan to change 10 gallons of water every week going forward.

TheCoffeeReef

Honestly, I'd say see how your filtration systems cope and how they settle in. If they're all young, it'll seem fine when you add them; but as they grow could get a bit crowded.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

After working on the tank today I realize there a ton of aiptasia growing in it.  I think my melanurus wrasse would eat any peppermint shrimp if I try to add them and if I get a filefish I am afraid it will eat my RFA.  Since my rock flowers are my favorite thing in the tank, I decided to order aiptasia-x today,  I have never used it before, so if you have please let me know the results.

Every time I get one part of the tank in order something else seems to go wrong.  I hope I can get rid of these things and start enjoying my tank again soon.  On a positive note I have removed almost all of the macro algae in the tank.

• Like 4
tidepooldreamer

I have been having some aiptasia troubles recently and using aiptasia-x - it does seem to work well although I find it tricky to apply it neatly. It likes to trickle out of the syringe a little bit even when I'm not pressing down on the plunger, which annoys me, but its not too much. It does also kill the biofilm on the rock so you get little white patches left behind wherever you applied it.

Most of my remaining aiptasia are on the back of the rock where I can't see what I'm doing 😂

• Thanks 1

Here a couple of pictures after the water change,  Things are looking a lot better, but I have to tackle the aiptasia before they spread everywhere.  The RFA look so much better since they are out from under the macroalgae outbreak.a.thumb.JPG.fdefa62a273938cbd7f6ff3beabf40e8.JPG

b.thumb.JPG.288159e29c85ee24e631351e824d8dae.JPG

I still have to do some major cleaning on the tank.  At least I can see my fish and coral now.

• Like 2

I took several hours over a few weeks.  I think the new one spot foxface is eating it now.  I hope that will keep it from growing in the display tank again.

• Like 2
Harrisonbored
On 11/18/2022 at 12:21 AM, kimdawg said:

decided to order aiptasia-x today,  I have never used it before, so if you have please let me know the results.

I'm pretty much battling much of the same foes as you in my NanoReno and have had great success with Aptasia-x. 

Just follow the directions.

I use one of these 10in long blunt needle tips when administering because I find the Aptasia don't retract like they do when my hand gets near them with the small syringe.

So in the end I get better coverage and also less seepage from the needle tip.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Syringes-Scientific-Measuring-Refilling/dp/B09RWNM5MX/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=extra+long+blunt+syringe&qid=1669507616&sr=8-6

Things are looking good, keep up the fight.

I have decided to take this tank down and turn it into Freshwater planted.  I have Nero5 pumps and other things in the sale section if anyone needs things.  I have learned so much from this site and always will be watching your tanks.  This was a hard decision to make, but with my handicap it is the best thing for me.

3 minutes ago, sadie said:

So sorry to hear this, you should be proud of the work you did!  You should post pictures of your planted tank when you get it going.  

It is a sad time for me, but I will be able to handle a planted tank much easier.  I know I am out of the reef reno competition, but I will post a picture of the freshwater tank after it is planted.  I am going to go slowly in chossing the fish for this one.  On a positive note all of my fish and coral went to great homes and I have seen pictures of them in their new tanks alreadly.  I made several new reefers very happy with the prices.

• Like 4