Cultivated Reef

Feeding tang

Xj reefing

I bought a tiny scopas tang a few weeks ago and he has been grazing on algae all day. There is still heaps of algae for him to eat in the tank but should I be supplementing his diet with nori? Or just when the algae supply runs out?

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
13 hours ago, Xj reefing said:

I bought a tiny scopas tang a few weeks ago and he has been grazing on algae all day. There is still heaps of algae for him to eat in the tank but should I be supplementing his diet with nori? Or just when the algae supply runs out?

No expert, but yeah feed the fish. Give it some meaty food too like mysis.

3 minutes ago, Xj reefing said:

I feed mysis every night so if he wants some he can get some. Will try putting in some nori today

Imo, get it eating Nori, mysis, etc . You'd rather a nice and expensive tang get used to eating the food you can keep supplying now, while it has the algae as an additional food.

You really, really don't want to play the game of "please eat this before you die" when you're out/very low on algae.

Kindanewtothis
6 hours ago, Xj reefing said:

I feed mysis every night so if he wants some he can get some. Will try putting in some nori today

I tried adding caulerpa, my tang doesn't touch it...