Pod Your Reef

Can I leave my new coral on the frags it came on?

scotts521

Christopher Marks

You can definitely keep a new frag attached to the frag plug it came on. Usually new coral growth will eventually cover it up. 

Some hobbyists choose to remove and remount their frags for aesthetic reasons. There is also a chance of hitchhiker pests on frag plugs as well, like hair algae or aiptasia anemones, and removal reduces the odds of introduction to your tank. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

He is correct. You don't want your whole sand bed moving when you turn off the lights.😬 Its a good practice that we will be doing when we move our coral to the new tank.  

Partially Submerged

Yup. I usually clip off the bottom with some big ole tongs and then glue/epoxy the disc onto my rock.

42 minutes ago, waldoz said:

He is correct. You don't want your whole sand bed moving when you turn off the lights.😬 Its a good practice that we will be doing when we move our coral to the new tank.  

Battle Ground! 😁 I love the Lewisville Park in BG.

• 1 month later...
jcrisman2009
On 2/13/2022 at 9:37 AM, scotts521 said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, just trying to figure out if I HAVE to refrag. 

That’s not a dumb question at all! You can leave them on the plugs if you want to but it’ll look weird for a while until either the coral grows over it or coralline algae covers it. As someone else has already said, be on the lookout for potential hitchhikers or pests if you decide to leave the coral on the frag plug.

• Thanks 1