Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

First time clown fish owner... they died in 5 days

Cait12350

I do have experience with freshwater aquariums but this is my first saltwater tank. My tank has been cycling for 2 weeks, and my salinity is at 1.022 to 1.023 (the store salinity was the same). My tank had sand, Caribsea rock and I just added two baby blue hermit crabs yesterday. 

Tank fluval evo 5

Nitrate: 0

Nitrite:0

Ph: 8.5

Kh:180

Gh: TBD 

They have been fine acting normal until today.

This morning I noticed one of them on one of the rocks struggling and breathing heavily. When I left for an hour and came back they were both dead. I appreciate any feedback!

(The picture I provided shows the water a bit cloudy as I had to move the sand around to be able to move them.)

20220212_161443.jpg

• Sad 3
1 hour ago, Cait12350 said:

I do have experience with freshwater aquariums but this is my first saltwater tank. My tank has been cycling for 2 weeks, and my salinity is at 1.022 to 1.023 (the store salinity was the same). My tank had sand, Caribsea rock and I just added two baby blue hermit crabs yesterday. 

Tank fluval evo 5

Nitrate: 0

Nitrite:0

Ph: 8.5

Kh:180

Gh: TBD 

They have been fine acting normal until today.

This morning I noticed one of them on one of the rocks struggling and breathing heavily. When I left for an hour and came back they were both dead. I appreciate any feedback!

(The picture I provided shows the water a bit cloudy as I had to move the sand around to be able to move them.)

20220212_161443.jpg

Hard to tell by the photo. We’re they discolored in any way?

How did you cycle the tank? I see no Nitrates and no diatoms or algae. 

Two weeks is pretty young for a tank and five gallons is pretty small for two clowns. It is possible that you may have had an ammonia spike. Are you able to test your ammonia levels?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Hard to tell by the photo. We’re they discolored in any way?

How did you cycle the tank? I see no Nitrates and no diatoms or algae. 

I used Bio Spira nitrifying bacteria to cycle the tank. They do not seem to be discolored in any way.