Pod Your Reef

Trochus Snail acclimation period?

Jakesaw

I have a Trochus snail question.  One of my new snails stopped moving within 24 hours of adding to tank found flipped over on his backside - so I put him back on a rock.  Hasn't moved since last night when I placed him there. 

I've added 2x2  batches of trochus snails to my tank. They are very good cleaners and can right themselves when flipped.  I have read that as a species they are slow to acclimate and sometimes they just do this when added to tank - that I should leave him alone.  --- Has anybody noticed this behavior 

I want to grab snail and give him a sniff for dead, but if he's acclimating to new water - I don't want to disturb if the snail is likely to start moving in a day or two. 

The 2 snails were in a new shipment bag - and was floating when I purhcased.  Took him home in a bag full of water from the shipping bag so not to change water 2 x shocking the snail.

one of the new snails is surfing around the tank.  The other is just sitting on rock - Any suggestions / experience with trochus...?

Thanks

I just added my first two Trochus snails two days ago. They both immediately began cruising the tank and have been moving around the tank since I got them. 

I have a black margarita snail that just sat when I added him for a day or two.

If you have hermit crabs id just leave him. From my experience if he's dead you'll find his shell empty in a few days. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Dave21 said:

I just added my first two Trochus snails two days ago. They both immediately began cruising the tank and have been moving around the tank since I got them. 

I have a black margarita snail that just sat when I added him for a day or two.

If you have hermit crabs id just leave him. From my experience if he's dead you'll find his shell empty in a few days. 

Shell may have been empty when I found him the other day.  Not sure.  Will give him another day to see if he starts to move.  Similar thing happened with my first Trochus, but he moved eventually after sitting on rock for a while.  This one hasn't moved in 24 hours.   

He did move when initially placed in the tank - a day later, saw his snail turned up in the sand.  I'll give it another day to see if he moves.  Curious for any others experiences

thanks