Cultivated Reef

My Fluval 5 gallon

EarleD

It’s been around 15 years since I had a reef.  The last one I had ran well for about 2 years before I gave it to my brother.  I was tired of the maintenance and he’s a high school science teacher.  

I decided I wanted another reef but a small one.  Wanted to keep the daily maintenance to a minimum. 

I picked up a Fluval EVO 5.  5lbs of Caribsea sand and some live rock from my local shop.  Everything in the tank is bought from the same shop.  Gotta support the small indie shops. Especially reef shops. 😁

Well the upgrade it already bug hit so the stock light is gone and got a nicrew 30 led.  No skimmer. Stock pumpX2.  Used the second for extra flow. 

Whatcha think everyone?  Open to any questions. 
Tank has been up and running for 8 weeks. 

102B50F1-8CF3-408D-BA56-1BDF57ED6D8B.jpeg

0C696BE1-3B18-41E3-A90F-9D3537EDD691.jpeg

• Like 2

Wish mine looked that good after a month. How did you get the divider out? Probs too late now, but I masked off the rest of the tank and painted the media/pump area flat black. Much improved visuals.

2 hours ago, shredder56 said:

Wish mine looked that good after a month. How did you get the divider out? Probs too late now, but I masked off the rest of the tank and painted the media/pump area flat black. Much improved visuals.

I started working it back and forth from the top.  The outside edge gave first.  

took a pair of long needle nose in a plastic bag and worked my way down.  It snapped about an inch or so from the bottom.  Eventually I’ll get the rest out but for now no need to. 

im gonna get a small hob for occasional floss use. There is a hand sized unit on Amazon for $11.  Maybe even leave it for extra water movement. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok.  Made some changes and things are going good.  The rocks aren’t that green. Any green isn’t fuzzy. 

Zero hair algae. added a wave maker.  This made a big difference.  

Looks like my Superman mushroom is going to split.  I hope so.  First time since I got it. 

3A39A8B4-09C5-4E3A-9B4E-D76999A0E79A.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Hello all been awhile since I updated this. 

Things are going well.  No coralline growth yet. But no algae issues.  

added a 6 line.  He’s fat and happy. 

mushrooms are doing great.  Have 2 baby Superman’s already.  One Duncan has 2 new heads.   

super stoked.  Sticking to my weekly 1 gallon WC.  feed the tank roids 2x week and frozen brine daily to the Duncan’s and six line. 

80E890C2-D9FF-4154-8D52-F3A832FCD88F.jpeg

154CF5F7-0D03-4BFA-9CB6-34AA4BDA65E1.jpeg