Pod Your Reef

Tomato clown

crollison

woulkd it be ok to have one tomato clown in an 8g tank. Could I also have a CB shrimp w/ it also. There would be no other shrimp.

well a small one will become a big one. best bet is to get another type of clown. maybe perc (false or true). or try those new black clowns.

new black clowns? are you talking about saloman island clowns? they have been around forever as they are black naturally. they are just false and true percs with more black pygmentation. they are cool though. you might want to try some skunk clowns. they are kinda cool since they are way different. tomatoes are way too big and a bit agreesive.

oh they have been around for awhile now...didnt know that. had read a thread of them awhile back about how they are being selectively breed now to have a color trait and stuff.

yeah people now are learning how to recreate the black clowns with regular ocellarus....i see them alot but they dont seel very well...

I have to agree, the tomato clown will get too large for that tank, and beside they are a lot more aggressive than you average perc clown.

To echo what everyone else has said, Tomatos are way too big.  They can get in excess of 6" in an aquarium setting.  Stick with the smaller species (Ocellaris, Percula, Orange Skunk, Pink Skunk).

As for the "new" black clowns, what's been the topic of discussion lately is the availability of tank-raised ones (both percula and ocellaris).  The Solomon Island variety have always been in limited supply, and are true Perculas.  

I would also disagree on those recomendations for the skunk clowns. They are more delicate then other species and would not be happy in a small tank.

Huh.  I've never really thought of the Skunks to be any more difficult to care for than Perculas.  My only concern about them is the Orange Skunk's lack of agression, making it an often target for other more aggressive fish.  But in a One-Fish-Only setup, that's not an issue.

Not to mention, they're both available tank-raised these days, providing even easier fish to care for.

Like the other clowns, Skunks rarely ever even travel more than 12" from their home in the wild.  An 8g is not that much smaller a space.

Matthew

thanks alot guys! well thats too bad about the tomato clown I really wanted one.  Well what other fish could I put in the tank 12"w 12"D 15"H want is somthinf out of the ordinary not just your basic clown. Also how many damsels could I put in there. Could three yellow tails be fine or should I stick to one to two fish set-ups.

Do you guys have any input on Coral Banded Shrimp? Possitive or negitve, what do they eat, are the compatable with all nano fish? What do they need to be happy?

Coral Banded Shrimp are great to watch in a "Nano". I have one in my ALIFE tank with a Pink Skunk Clown. They get along OK. The Pink Skunk Clown stays as far away from the Coral Banded Shrimp as possible. The shrimp eats the same dry fish food the skunk clown gets feed.  Coral Banded Shrimp will also eat small hermit crabs, so watch out!

Archived