Cultivated Reef

Media for Evo 13.5

mattnano13.5

So I have a “inTank” chamber one media basket arriving tomorrow and I went out and got some more carbon and biomax both made by fluval. How much more than the stock bag of biomax and carbon can I add? Is it bad for the tank to add too much carbon or biomax or do I just stuff the media box with all it will hold lol. I’m currently still in the “fishless” cycle the tank has been up and running for 5 days now. But this question is more just for the future and now lol. 

I don't think there's a "limit" to the amount of Carbon you can have. At some point you're just wasting money though if you're going way over the top. As for biomax, it's generally the same. There's some people on here who argue the biomax and similar products aren't necessary and they've had good experiences without it. I've personally always used it and never had problems. I just put the whole bag of Marine Pure bioballs I got into my tank in the sump area. You'll want to be certain to rinse off the biomax when you clean your sump area. Personally I just take the bag and dip it a few times in the main tank. The idea is that you want to get any possible food bits out of the space between the ceramic rings. This will keep it from becoming a problem.

Here's a BRS calculator for Carbon: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator

It's about 1/4 cup for generic carbon FYI, seems to be less if you use their "special" carbons from BRS

If you go a little over to be "safe" you'll be totally fine. Anything much more than their suggestion is probably just throwing away dollars.

• Like 1