Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

CUC and new corals for 7 gallon

Kenred47

Hi,

I have had my tank setup for about three months now and have a clown and a purple firefish (I know it’s small for that but guy at the LFS gave me bum advice and said I could have both, either way they’re both doing great!). I had a major problem with hair algae and green spot algae but with water changes every other day I have been able to nip it a good amount. Current water parameters are:

Ammonia- 0

nitrites- 0

nitrates- ~20ppm

dKH- 8.9

(are any other testing parameters truly necessary at my stage?)

Current Stocking: 

rock anemone

Green Star Polyp

ocellaris

purple firefish

I want to get a CUC and have been through a ton of info on the forum but wanted to get a more precise answer for my small tank. I was thinking based on my algae a netrite snail, trochorus snail, green emerald crab, blue hermit card and a cleaner shrimp. Would this be a good crew or is it too much for this tank?

As far as corals I really want to add some life to the tank so corals that are on the cheaper and easier care end are preferred. Also I want to stick with soft corals. I have heard Xenia is very good for beginners but I think it will grow too fast for my tank. What are some other options besides zoas and hammers?

Lastly, this tank is AIO and I have biocubes and chemipure in the second stage of filtration and then mechanical foam pads in the first and third stage. The pump is a ~200 gph pump. Is this an adequate setup? I have seen so much about refugiums and sumps but I am confused on if a tank my size would need that. I apologize for the long post, just want to make sure I’m giving these animals the best life possible, given the budget and tank size I have. Thanks!

Here’s a picture of the tank as it is.

image.jpg

For this size tank I would stick to snails. Get different types as they will prefer different types of food. Trochus, cerith, turbo, you do t have a any algae so start out with 2 or 3 snails. Small hermit crabs for entertainment value, they don’t clean much. Keep in mind they may kill snails for their shells. No other crabs or cleaner shrimp will fit.  Another interesting addition may be micro brittle starfish and sexy shrimp.

For beginner coral, I like duncans, candy cane, toadstools, and colorful mushrooms over invasive stuff like gsp and xenia. If you can keep those alive move up to rock flower anemones and some lps like hammers.

If your keeping coral, also get a good low range phosphate test like the Hanna ULR.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

For this size tank I would stick to snails. Get different types as they will prefer different types of food. Trochus, cerith, turbo, you do t have a any algae so start out with 2 or 3 snails. Small hermit crabs for entertainment value, they don’t clean much. Keep in mind they may kill snails for their shells. No other crabs or cleaner shrimp will fit.  Another interesting addition may be micro brittle starfish and sexy shrimp.

For beginner coral, I like duncans, candy cane, toadstools, and colorful mushrooms over invasive stuff like gsp and xenia. If you can keep those alive move up to rock flower anemones and some lps like hammers.

If your keeping coral, also get a good low range phosphate test like the Hanna ULR.

Ok great thank you. I think my LFS has a brittle starfish so I’ll definitely pick one up. Also the rock does have a fair amount of hair algae, I just happened to break up that live rock yesterday so all of the former outward facing surfaces are now in the pile. I get a good amount of hair algae daily so I’m hoping the snails and hermits can take care of it. I will definitely look into those corals as well. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Kenred47 said:

I get a good amount of hair algae daily so I’m hoping the snails and hermits can take care of it. I will definitely look into those corals as well. Thank you!

I've gotten my GHA  bloom recently and snails definitely help.  Got 3 astreas and a spiny star Turbo snail in my 10 gallon and looking to add a few more.  The astreas do most of the work clearing algae for me - and mostly when the lights are off.

I started adding snails 2 wks ago with GHA on my tank walls like a thick coat of fur + some golden brown sludge of algae on my rocks.  The snails are working back the crud on rocks and clearing space on my glass daily.  Working on balancing CUC with algae growth.  I've Got Coraline creeping over my rocks and expect that to spread and outcompete the hair algae over time. 

25 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

I've gotten my GHA  bloom recently and snails definitely help.  Got 3 astreas and a spiny star Turbo snail in my 10 gallon and looking to add a few more.  The astreas do most of the work clearing algae for me - and mostly when the lights are off.

I started adding snails 2 wks ago with GHA on my tank walls like a thick coat of fur + some golden brown sludge of algae on my rocks.  The snails are working back the crud on rocks and clearing space on my glass daily.  Working on balancing CUC with algae growth.  I've Got Coraline creeping over my rocks and expect that to spread and outcompete the hair algae over time. 

Ok awesome my only worry is if the astreas flip over. I’ve heard they are awesome at clearing off glass though. Going to the reef store today and going to see what they have in stock. 

1 minute ago, Kenred47 said:

Ok awesome my only worry is if the astreas flip over. 

True, they can not turn themselves over if flipped.  So far hasn't been a problem ( in 2 wks )

In small tank, I give snails a daily count / check when I view aquarium.  Not always visible, but later in the day - all are usually accounted for.  When they suck onto rock or glass, they are on there pretty firmly on there.  

Outside of dying first or some other tank critter flipping them on sand, not sure how they would be flipped over. 

42 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

True, they can not turn themselves over if flipped.  So far hasn't been a problem ( in 2 wks )

In small tank, I give snails a daily count / check when I view aquarium.  Not always visible, but later in the day - all are usually accounted for.  When they suck onto rock or glass, they are on there pretty firmly on there.  

Outside of dying first or some other tank critter flipping them on sand, not sure how they would be flipped over. 

Ok awesome. Ya that does make sense I should be able to see them flipped cause the tank is so small if that does happen. We’ll, hopefully they have some astrea snails in stock!

Here's the cleaning done on one of my rocks.  Left side is cleaned from snail activity

IMG_20220119_112814.thumb.jpg.0025862d6ee5d3b45e16956ce486cf68.jpg

What rest of rock looks like without Snail cleaning  IMG_20220119_112818.thumb.jpg.a3f0732d6ef8979ccc1a47b857a4563f.jpg

This rock cleaning includes GHA on the walls.  I need a few more snails and time, but have seen improvement since adding the snails I have.