Coral Vue Hydros

Do Featherdusters stop growing?

Tryp72

Greetings,

I have a Featherduster (Sabellastarte) in my 8 gallon tank and was wondering if anybody can tell me if their actual tube stops elongating.  Does it just keep getting longer and longer or does the tail end of it fall off as it grows forward?  Just wondering if this is going to be a problem for my tank.

thanks!

IMG_8441.jpeg

Hello,

We just got one too. From everything I've read, it looks like there's two types. A soft and hard shell type. The soft shells deteriorate as they get longer. Haven't found much on the hard shells. 

I have two of them in my tank and I partially burried them in the sand so only their crown and some of the tube was sticking out of the sand bed. 

The part sticking out of the sand actually shrunk so only 1" or so is sticking out. They seem happy and havent changed or moved. Of course I cant see what might be going on under the sanded.  

I had mine originally in a nice spot in my rockscape but it has actually moved itself to where it currently sits.  I don't know how it does it but its pretty crazy.  I thought about burying his tube but I don't think my sandbed is deep enough to get it all covered.  Mine is a soft one, I think the hard tube ones are referred to as coco worms

• Like 1