Coral Vue Hydros

5 Gallon Office Boredom Breaker

Ratvan

Greetings All,

So as some of you may know I have a RSM130D in the office that has had, less than good luck in the last few years. However I have not been put off of the long term goal of having a fully functioning reef tank in the office. I have ordered Dry Rock and Dry Sand for the RSM and will be setting the tank up slowly over the coming weeks and months. The RSM has a number of issues that I would like to resolve before I fill and start the cycle. So to keep me busy and not spending stupid money on items that I may or may not need I have decided that I would collect all of my spares into a single space and set up something small on my desktop, or in my seated area. 

Anyways, onto the tank! As I mentioned in my RSM post I found a reptile tank on my way to work complete with a glass shelf and also a netted lid, I have cleaned this up (although not photographed this yet) and have leak tested this along with emptying all the rain from inside and found that it holds water well. I posted these photos in the other thread but will post them here too for sake of completeness. 

20220113_213848.jpg.c6cb7cce2e8560b80191ebc28c34ad10.thumb.jpg.bd4b8530fbf406429cd7357ef319dc80.jpg

Hardware of the Build

Tank: 40Cmx 20Cm x 20cm

Filter: 900LPH HOB 

Light: Asta 20 LED

Heat: 50W Adjustable 

So before I start the cycle I have a few tasks to complete on the tank and equipment itself. 

1. Remove Glass Shelf

2. Cut LID for Filtration and light fixing points

3. Drill/Route HOB filter for Heater Cables 

The tank is going to be positioned behind my seat as this is the best use of space and availability of power sources, this area also benefits from being on of the few areas in the office that doesn't receive direct sunlight throughout the day (RSM is in the other spot). So as a result of this i have borrowed another set of drawers which I intend to stand the tank upon. The side of these drawers will also act as my electronic control centre and I will externally mount the controllers for the Temperature and Lights. 

• Like 6

the top view looks like some kind of baroque prison/gas chamber lolz.  The light particularly looks like a gas pipe and a fitting or some sorts.

All joking aside, I bet this is going to be a great tank. 

• Haha 1
On 1/18/2022 at 11:15 PM, Squid_reef said:

Nice find! 

Looking forward to see the progress 👍

Thank you, it was indeed a good find.

17 hours ago, fenderchamp said:

the top view looks like some kind of baroque prison/gas chamber lolz.  The light particularly looks like a gas pipe and a fitting or some sorts.

All joking aside, I bet this is going to be a great tank. 

Thanks, now you have said that I cannot unsee it!

In other news I have removed the glass shelf, managing to keep it intact. Out of curiosity I decided to see if i could drill the shelf and yes, yes I can. So future waterfall/rock trickle fountain could potentially work. I did briefly consider placing a Peace lilly in this section and having a lovely underwater shelf for my Betta but I want a Reef.  I have also modified the HOB filter so that the heater fits snugly inside and have routed out a small area for the cables

My sand arrived today so I have been rinsing that and the rock has been cycled for a while now, just need to bring everything into the office soon. I am also thinking about livestock for the tank and need to pop into the LFS at lunch time and see what is available. I am hoping for a Nano Goby and Shrimp Combo or another Tailspot Blenny for this tank, unless i find something really interesting in

• Like 4
Just now, M. Tournesol said:

what is your corals plan? 

A very good Question and one that right now I cant really answer right now, i will most likely get the tank up and cycled before i start looking. Playing around with Rock at the moment for potential aquascapes, quite liking a twin cliffs theme 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
NatureGuy

Are you planing on using that lid? I once had something like it on a freshwater tank and it rusted which might be something to look out for. This is looking cool, btw! 

15 hours ago, NatureGuy said:

Are you planing on using that lid? I once had something like it on a freshwater tank and it rusted which might be something to look out for. This is looking cool, btw! 

Currently using the lid as is, i decided that i wanted to pick up a baby cornsnake so this is a grow out tank until the bioactive vivarium is set up for her and she puts on some length and weight 

• Like 3

Sure, she is being acclimated at the moment so leaving her be for another week or so before i attempt to feed her, then can work on handling.

Really basic set up

372016715_SetUp.thumb.jpg.2cf36ecb07b6b95a47e552f4b5be60a3.jpg

And Here is Hissy Elliot herself in the aspen bedding

2070945412_HissyElliot.thumb.jpg.f2f6f0e621e368131d2525334594dfb5.jpg

• Like 6